Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee Starting Issues

Old 01-26-2011, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cherokee Starting Issues

Ok so first things first I just bought a 1990 jeep cherokee that belonged to a younger kid so who knows what make shift parts and wiring has been done to this thing... I bought for real cheap with intentions to fix it up and make it a daily runner..

Now heres the issue:
When I bought it we had it running and i drove it home.. on the way home all the power died in the jeep and smoke started coming up from under the hood. I get out open the hood and the smaller wire on the ground of the battery completely fried. However I used some electrical tape and amazingly enough got it started.. Well then i took it out a little bit latter to make sure nothing else was terribly wrong with the jeep and the same thing happened.. well this time I cant get it started it tries and tries but just wont start.. So i tow it home get it in the garage replace the ground wire completely and the little wire that fried..

Well once i get the wires replaced and tight I go to try and jump the jeep again.. however this time right when I hook the last jumper cable up the jeep immediately tries to start itself??? The key is in my pocket and the ignition is in the off position?? Also i did let it try to start itself but It did not want to start still!

If anyone has any ideas on what could be causing the jeep to not start or mainly why it would be trying to start itself it would be greatly appreciated!

I've never owned a jeep and its already starting off to be a bad experience lol... I am however determined to get this bad boy running!!
Old 01-26-2011, 10:16 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I

The trying to start its self could b an automatic starter that was forgotten about or faulty. But damn idk about the wire frying. Try staring it with the key and when u put the key in auxcan u use the radio and such
Old 01-26-2011, 10:23 PM

Nope I get nothing now with the key in aux.. And im not sure about the automatic starter because when I first went there I had to use the key to start it and then when it died on the way home I had to jump it and it didn't do that at all... It just started doing the trying to start when jumping thing now that I replaced the ground wire.. Just the weirdest thing cause im looking all over the internet and not a single person it seems like has had this problem!

Thanks,
Luke
Old 01-26-2011, 10:35 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L HO L6

Check your starter solenoid. If the starter motor is engaging without using the start circuit, there could be a short there...
Old 01-26-2011, 10:37 PM

Thank you I will check that out tomorrow night and let you know if that fixes anything..

Thanks,
Luke