Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

cherokee security

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 03:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question cherokee security

Hi from across the pond southern spain, hope you guys in the states can help me i have a problem with my 1997 2.5 turbo diesel cherokee , the security lamp on the dash is lit and the remote key fob is not opening the doors its become worse so now the immobilliser will not disarm , I have tried all the usual opening and locking the doors tailgate changed batteries in the remotes, guy in the key shop says they are transmiting. I live in the sticks 100 klms from the nearest jeep dealer . Yesterday i found an overhead console with the rf reciever in it at our local wreckers asked Manolo if i could borrow it to see if it would solve the issue, lo and behold Jeep started right up , tried it a few more times no problem went in the house for a cold one, its 35 degs here came out after 10 mins put key in to start immob lamp back on, is there any way of ditching the immobiliser , do you guys think it could be a fault anywhere else, many regards in anticipation of a reply, Rob
Old 07-21-2011, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 6cyl

i had the same problem wiht my 01 guy had nice sec system in and auto start and when i tried to unlock the doors or start it it would not work and after million times goin nuts it killed my battery i found out that i had a fault going to my starter from the security system that fixed it for a while . but after 4 months i just riped it all out bc it started uo again lol hope that helps tho
Old 07-25-2011, 12:53 PM

Default security

Hi guys my xj td still refuses to go could the problem be the bcm or the door locks as the doors dont unlock nor the immobilliser disarm with the fob, but i,ve got no alarm going off
Old 07-28-2011, 05:21 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 6cyl

i would just rip it all out man mine causes me so many problems lol
Old 07-29-2011, 08:59 AM

Hi to anyone who,s looking, Jeep still imobile , there must be a way of reseting the security immobilliser without the rke i,ve tried everthing locking the doors with the key locking and unlocking the tailgate with the key, i presume the only reason jeep shuts down is because the pcm is interfering with the quantity solenoid in the diesel pump? Will i be able to overcome this problem by getting hold of a working rke receiver and transmiter from another vehicle. I have seen hundreds of posts regarding this issue but have yet to see a solution ,hope someone out there has one regards Rob
Old 08-02-2011, 03:55 PM

Default still no go

Is there anyone out there who can help me get my ride going again, i,ve tried every combination of reseting the immobiliser with the key , does anyone know which wire or wires go to the ecu from the rke module in the overhead console is it the can bus cables. If the system will not reset with the key in the door locks or liftgate is the fault likely to be in one of the door lock solenoids or related wiring, thanks for reading ,regards Rob
Old 08-02-2011, 04:04 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0L

Just rip it out man! Or there may be a simple fuse you could pull to disable it... When I bought my jeep the first thing I did was tear out the aftermarket security system the po installed. Jeeps have enough electrical problems as it is, security systems just make them worse.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:01 AM

Default security

Hi thanks for the reply if i could find what to rip out or what fuse to remove i would gladly do that, i dont want or need the immobiliser where we live there are more goats than people, i,ve disconected the rke board in the overhead console ,don,t make no difference, the security lamp is lit solid on the dash, not flashing the immobiliser is factory fit, no chipped keys its a diesel and is being immobilised via the edc diesel control i need to know if its the can bus cables or any help would be most welcome, regards Rob