Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee running hot and rough idle after starting when hot

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline-6
Default Cherokee running hot and rough idle after starting when hot

Hi there guys I have a 1995 Cherokee. All the temperatures are in celcius so I think around 100C on the gauge is the 210F spot. So, I've already replaced my water pump and thermostat to a slightly cooler one however after replacing it I thought it would improve my problems of getting so hot. It used to get up to 115 or so because my water pump was leaking and I lost all of my coolant and that was where the leak came from. So after replacing the pump and thermostat so that it would run cooler it now gets really hot when idling for a long time like at a red light after driving for a while or when I go uphill for more than 3 or so minutes. The radiator was also replaced about 2 or 3 years ago by the previous owner. I don't really understand what the problem is. When I start it after shutting it down and the gauge is over 100 it will idle at about 200-300 rpm and seem like it's going to stall or something but never does if I rev the engine to about 2000rpm for about 5-10 seconds it's will usually correct itself and start idling ok at about 500-600rpm. My coolant reservoir is also always at the ADD line and my radiator is full however I was told not to fill it up to the full line because it is where the coolant goes if there is excess coolant. Do you think putting more coolant in would solve this problem or does it need some sort of bigger repair. Also I've heard it could be the head gasket as all the other stuff in the cooling system has been replaced however I don't seem to be having any of the common symptoms of a blown head gasket.

Blown Head Gasket Symptoms:
-Coolant leaking externally from bellow the exhaust manifold.
-White smoke from the exhaust pipe.
-Overheating engine.
-Bubbles in the radiator or coolant overflow tank.
-White milky oil.
-Significant loss of coolant with no visible leaks. (These are off google)

All I have is the overheating engine

Today I was driving for nearly half an hour and lots of it was uphill and the gauge reached the third white line just before the red overheating spot on the gauge. When I drive downhill the engine has no problem and will usually stay around 70 or so and when driving on flat roads with no traffic lights usually around 80
Old 07-28-2014, 09:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

How's the fan clutch, if you can turn the fan by hand and not feel any resistance or spin it, get a new one. do you here the Efan turn on
Old 07-28-2014, 11:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L Inline-6

Originally Posted by GronHog
How's the fan clutch, if you can turn the fan by hand and not feel any resistance or spin it, get a new one. do you here the Efan turn on
The electric fan will turn on at about 105-110 and I just took a look at the fan clutch it has a little resistance to it when I push it an let go it will spin to the next fan blade and then stop