Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee repairs and modifications

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 12:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993 and 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6cyl
Smile Cherokee repairs and modifications

I own two Cherokees. One is a 1993 that is drivable but in rough condition. The 4.0 6cyl runs okay but is seriously wore out. Also the body is excessively rusty and the steering a little loose. Plus the rear end needs inspection, it leaks oil. From my viewpoint, the nice thing about it is the 5 speed manual transmission.

I also have a newly purchased 1999 with a little body damage, some lights that do not work, and some rust. It runs the 4.0 6cyl/auto and at this point I think the major running parts are in good order.

At the very least I am going to be doing some repairs to both vehicles and if it get ambitious enough, I may do some major work. I am wondering about a couple of things.

I am going to need a repair manual of some sort. Do you think the Haynes repair manual as offered used over at ebay would be good enough for my use?

What would be a good source for new parts? Used parts?

Also, both pictures are from yesterday.

John
Attached Thumbnails Cherokee repairs and modifications-jeep-009.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 03-20-2013, 01:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I-6

I like Haynes, Chilton is also good. Most new parts can be gotten from your local parts house. You can also order a lot of stuff online. Some new parts, like sensors, you'll want to stick with the stealership as a lot of the aftermarket stuff just isn't up to par. A lot of good used part can be had from the junkyard. You might also consider Craigslist and Ebay. A lot of XJer's buy a whole donor vehicle cheap and use it for spare parts. I kept my '92 after it got totaled. It was hit on front drivers side and bent the frame rail and unibody. Insurance company sold me the whole XJ for $150.00. It has SO paid for itself.