Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee rear door window disasssembly

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 06:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cherokee rear door window disasssembly

I tried searching but all I could find is the rear hatch & quarter panel window disassembly instructions. There was 1 video where someone took apart the rear window on a -96 xj, but I already saw that some things are different and maybe they made it easier for the 97+ models.

Basically, I'm trying to convert my 97 xj to power windows & locks. I know most guys go the other way, but I really hate the rool up since I have dogs and it's a pain to reach back all the time. Plus having power locks would be awesome. Maybe I'll change my mind when everything starts failining lol.

Problem is I can't see how to disconnect the rear door windows from the track without actually pulling the window out to get at the screw. On the donor door, I took the corner non-moving window out in order to get the main window to come out and get the screw. Is there any way to disconnect the track and do the swap without pulling the window? I really don't want to tweak the rubber or strip the small screw on my good door.
Old 02-10-2018, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Figured it out, so thought I'd share my learnings. I watched this
of a rear regulator repair (duh, not sure why I didn't think of searching for that first). Basically, if you take the window down to a certain point and take all the regulator bolts except the top, you can swivel it to the side and get at the window screw.

This is my donor door ready to be screwed apart. You may want to have the window up just a smidge actually as my driver was touching the motor when I was undoing it. The backside turned so I had to hold it still, but could do it with just some finger pressure.