Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee Rear Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Cherokee Rear Brakes

I would like to convert the rear brakes on my 96 Cherokee to disc. Do the later model Cherokees have factory installed disc brakes? If not, does anyone know what other cars may hav rear brakes that can be adapted?
I just do not want to spend $700 for the Teraflex kit that is offered by Quadratec.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:26 PM
DmC

Year: 1998 XJ

Which axle do you have? There's a very different conversions depending on the axle. Cherokee's were not made with rear disc.
Old 09-13-2010, 05:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996

They have rear brakes???

If it has the 8.25 you can use Liberty disks, IIRC theres a writeup on here.. d35 can be done too, but I think its a little harder.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

d35 is easy. you can use all the parts from a zj.
Old 09-13-2010, 11:43 PM

I have been told 4disc is bad idea but maybe not on such a light vehicle
Old 09-13-2010, 11:49 PM

Year: 1990

I plan on converting mine to disc just due to the fact I feel safer if I have to back down anything steep because at the moment my fronts will lock up and I lose any chance of correcting my rearward descent if I have to make any steering corrections mostly on slightly off camber trails.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Defiance665
They have rear brakes???

If it has the 8.25 you can use Liberty disks, IIRC theres a writeup on here.. d35 can be done too, but I think its a little harder.

Actually it's not. The Liberty uses the same 8.25 axle but only in a coil spring version. It's practially a straight swap. All you really need to do is move the brake fluid hard line to connect with new calipers soft line. I believe there is also a modification to the emergency brake cable or you can buy the ones used in the liberty.

There is a write up in the Write Up section of this forum. I think it's on page 3

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/li...nversion-7695/

Last edited by Jamie57; 09-14-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Originally Posted by blasterman93
I plan on converting mine to disc just due to the fact I feel safer if I have to back down anything steep because at the moment my fronts will lock up and I lose any chance of correcting my rearward descent if I have to make any steering corrections mostly on slightly off camber trails.
Not true, your drums need to be adjusted. Drums will work just as efficiently as discs, and longer, if you keep them clean and adjusted.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Diesel
Not true, your drums need to be adjusted. Drums will work just as efficiently as discs, and longer, if you keep them clean and adjusted.
That's not true either, drums do not work nearly as well in reverse by design. When going forward the shoes rotate into the drum as you apply the brakes increasing the pressure against the drum. This does not occur in reverse. I'm sure you've noticed that when you back up with the parking brake on you don't notice until you try to go forward and it stops you. That is why.

Drum brakes are nowhere near as efficient as disk brakes. If they were OE's would not have changed nearly everything over to disks. Disk brakes cool much more efficiently, have more clamping force, and are more resistant to water fade. Ever driven a 4 wheel drum vehicle through the water and then tried to stop? Not fun, ask me how I know.

The perception that drum brakes last longer is because they are usually only on the rear of a vehicle and the rear brakes always outlast the front brakes because the front does 80% of you braking due to weight transfer so you may go through 3-4 sets of brake pads before you ever replace the shoes on the drum brakes.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:41 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by My375hp302
That's not true either, drums do not work nearly as well in reverse by design. When going forward the shoes rotate into the drum as you apply the brakes increasing the pressure against the drum. This does not occur in reverse. I'm sure you've noticed that when you back up with the parking brake on you don't notice until you try to go forward and it stops you. That is why.

Drum brakes are nowhere near as efficient as disk brakes. If they were OE's would not have changed nearly everything over to disks. Disk brakes cool much more efficiently, have more clamping force, and are more resistant to water fade. Ever driven a 4 wheel drum vehicle through the water and then tried to stop? Not fun, ask me how I know.

The perception that drum brakes last longer is because they are usually only on the rear of a vehicle and the rear brakes always outlast the front brakes because the front does 80% of you braking due to weight transfer so you may go through 3-4 sets of brake pads before you ever replace the shoes on the drum brakes.
Many OE vehicles still use drum for good reason, most of your stopping power is in the front regardless of whats in the back.

Also, I have a Roadrunner with new drums all around, Englishtown has this little thing every year with vehicles from the '70s, mostly "hot rods". And the top of the class are all using drums still. Runs are 0-60, 60-0, 0-100.

Disc brakes make lousy parking brakes. So if you put disc brakes on all four wheels, you then have to add two additional, separate drum brakes on the rear wheels to serve as parking brakes.

Or you have to add a very expensive, and failure-prone, component to the rear disc-brake calipers to make them work as parking brakes. But drum brakes naturally make good parking brakes, because they have a binding, or self-wrapping, action.

And even with drums all around, the life is longer than disc, automotive technicians estimate around 40% longer life, not to mention the cheaper replacement.

Also, your drums will, if adjusted correctly to the vehicle and cleaned and maintained properly, perform just as well as OE discs.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:03 AM

Year: 1999 Stone White

Regardless, Cherokee drums are awful. Constant adjustments! I'm looking to do the swap when my current set of shoes wears out. I've never heard anyone that has done this has NOT had a huge improvement in braking performance.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:05 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by jth877
Regardless, Cherokee drums are awful. Constant adjustments! I'm looking to do the swap when my current set of shoes wears out. I've never heard anyone that has done this has NOT had a huge improvement in braking performance.
Ive upgraded my drums. Discs arent worth the money imo
Old 09-14-2010, 10:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I-6

So if you put disc brakes on all four wheels, you then have to add two additional, separate drum brakes on the rear wheels to serve as parking brakes.
What?!
The ZJ discs have a drum setup for the parking brake built in. Here's the write-up I used: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/z...-brake-920103/

I did the ZJ conversion on the rear of my Cherokee. Much nicer in my opinion, braking is more level and controlled. No adjusting needed. Granted my drums were probably completely worn out. I have a 99 with the 8.25 in the back and all I did was enlarge the opening of the backing plates from a ZJ. KJ discs are a direct bolt on, no modding needed.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by eggdashure
What?!
The ZJ discs have a drum setup for the parking brake built in. Here's the write-up I used: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/z...-brake-920103/

I did the ZJ conversion on the rear of my Cherokee. Much nicer in my opinion, braking is more level and controlled. No adjusting needed. Granted my drums were probably completely worn out. I have a 99 with the 8.25 in the back and all I did was enlarge the opening of the backing plates from a ZJ. KJ discs are a direct bolt on, no modding needed.
Where did I say ZJ discs?

Please dont put words in my mouth, thanks boss.
Old 09-14-2010, 10:57 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I-6

Ok, my bad...just didn't want the OP to think he wasn't going to have e-brakes.

Quick Reply: Cherokee Rear Brakes