Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee feels like it's going to fail

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 08:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Cherokee feels like it's going to fail

I'll try to be as precise as possible, so I'm sorry if I can sound unclear

It's the winter season now and it's snowing here. Since I can't drive my jeep as often as I'd want, it can stay long periods of time in the driveway. I try to start it 4-5 minutes every day just to get it running and cleaning the snow, but that's about it.

I've had issues with the CPS and replaced it and for the summer everything went great, until a couple weeks ago when I took it out and after maybe 10-15 minutes of driving, it felt like it was going to fail on me while driving. Like even if you put the pedal to the floor the engine wouldn't respond (but it was still running). While keeping the pedal at the same position, you could see the RPM go to up, then down, up again, and down. A couple days ago I tried it again, did the same thing right when I started driving, and after maybe 5 minutes the problem stopped and it was running like usual.

When I turn the key without starting the jeep, I have the Check Engine & GEN lights on (which I don't think I had before), but when the truck starts, they go out.

I've been told to try cleaning the IAC valve, but other than that I have no clue what could cause this.

Oh and it's a 1996 cherokee sport (I've seen alot of people online saying the same model had the GEN light on too, but since mine goes off when I start the vehicle, I don't know if it's actually an issue)

Any suggestions?

Many thanks!
Old 12-19-2012, 08:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Check the fuel pressure.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:02 AM
CF Veteran

Alright, thanks for the suggestion!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:24 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Like Bustedback said start by checking the fuel pressure with a mechanical pressure gauge on the fuel rail. Don't worry about the light they always come on when you first turn on the key and off when it is started.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:28 AM
CF Veteran

Perfect, I probably just never noticed before.
Old 12-19-2012, 12:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

When was the last time you did a fuel filter?? it might have come apart and clogged the line..
and also starting for it everyday for 5mins is actually bad... you are better off letting it run for 15 mins every 3 days... it needs to get a full heat cycle through the motor...
Old 12-19-2012, 12:37 PM
CF Veteran

and any engine codes?
Old 12-19-2012, 01:20 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by The Rooster
When was the last time you did a fuel filter?? it might have come apart and clogged the line..
and also starting for it everyday for 5mins is actually bad... you are better off letting it run for 15 mins every 3 days... it needs to get a full heat cycle through the motor...
Since I've had it (september 2011) I didn't do any fuel filter. Thanks for the info about starting it for longer, I'll make sure to do that from now on.

And about the codes I'm not equipped to test my car (maybe send me in the right direction so from now on I won't have to rely on the forum for these types of troubles)

Thanks alot for the info
Old 12-19-2012, 02:02 PM
CF Veteran

well does the jeep have any kind of check engine light as you are driving? and the forum is great for info.. we are here to help you and keep your jeep running
Old 12-19-2012, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by The Rooster
well does the jeep have any kind of check engine light as you are driving? and the forum is great for info.. we are here to help you and keep your jeep running
The light is on until the engine is started (aswell as the GEN light). I never really noticed before so I thought it meant something, but like someone said earlier in the thread it's supposed to be like that
Old 12-26-2012, 05:40 PM
CF Veteran

Just a little update. I haven't got the chance to get it checked (and I don't have the tools to diagnose the issue) but I took it for a ride today and it was worse than ever.

1- It smells terrible, like burnt oil.
2- When I put it in neutral or parked it's fine, but as soon as I start driving, the issues start.
3- There is some kind of "click" I can feel in the pedal once in a while, and you can hear it at the rear of the car too.
4- Like it was doing before, the speed keeps altering. Engine will respond, be about to fail, repond, about the fail, etc. (but it never failed). Even if I put the pedal to the floor, it will do the same thing.

I'll get it checked eventually, but like people posted before, suggestions would be appreciated.

I took a little video but I'll upload it later / check if the quality is worth showing.

Thanks alot!
Old 12-26-2012, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Either check the fuel pressure yourself, or take the vehicle somewhere & have it checked. Without actually starting to diagnose problem you will never get it resolved.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:51 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Cane
Just a little update. I haven't got the chance to get it checked (and I don't have the tools to diagnose the issue) but I took it for a ride today and it was worse than ever.

1- It smells terrible, like burnt oil.
2- When I put it in neutral or parked it's fine, but as soon as I start driving, the issues start.
3- There is some kind of "click" I can feel in the pedal once in a while, and you can hear it at the rear of the car too.
4- Like it was doing before, the speed keeps altering. Engine will respond, be about to fail, repond, about the fail, etc. (but it never failed). Even if I put the pedal to the floor, it will do the same thing.

I'll get it checked eventually, but like people posted before, suggestions would be appreciated.

I took a little video but I'll upload it later / check if the quality is worth showing.

Thanks alot!
You can take it to any parts store like auto zone and they can scan it for any stored code and they will do it for free. At least it will give you somewhere to start looking.
Old 12-26-2012, 05:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Either check the fuel pressure yourself, or take the vehicle somewhere & have it checked. Without actually starting to diagnose problem you will never get it resolved.
Yeah that's what I figured. I'll have to get someone check it because I have no way of checking the fuel pressure myself (I'm really not equipped).

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
You can take it to any parts store like auto zone and they can scan it for any stored code and they will do it for free. At least it will give you somewhere to start looking.
There is no Auto Zone around here, I'll have to check for similar ones, but the issue would probably be going to said place. Thanks though!

Thanks again for the quick reply guys!
Old 12-26-2012, 06:03 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Cane
Yeah that's what I figured. I'll have to get someone check it because I have no way of checking the fuel pressure myself (I'm really not equipped).

There is no Auto Zone around here, I'll have to check for similar ones, but the issue would probably be going to said place. Thanks though!

Thanks again for the quick reply guys!
Yeah, Any chain auto parts store will do it for free. Also when you have it done post the codes on here and some one will be able to let you know what exactly what they mean.

Quick Reply: Cherokee feels like it's going to fail