Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee Coil Rail disconnected

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 07:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cherokee Coil Rail disconnected

Hi, new to this forum, love it for info on my cherokee.
OK, I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0 and i just replaced the coil rail to fix an intermittent misfire. It ran great and while driving home yesterday it bagan to sputter and stall, i was able to restart it and drive a ways but it would stall again until it would just not start again. In inspecting the new coil rail i noticed i had not secured the connector well and it had slipped down most likely when i hit a bump. I secured the connector back on the coil rail but the Cherokee will crank but not start. Did the timing get screwed up or the PCM because it was running when the connector loosened? Before i start replacing parts like getting a new coil rail again, i am wondering if anyone had this sort of issue already that may help. Thanks all.
CN
Old 01-04-2017, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by cnamorato
Hi, new to this forum, love it for info on my cherokee.
OK, I have a 2000 Cherokee Sport 4.0 and i just replaced the coil rail to fix an intermittent misfire. It ran great and while driving home yesterday it bagan to sputter and stall, i was able to restart it and drive a ways but it would stall again until it would just not start again. In inspecting the new coil rail i noticed i had not secured the connector well and it had slipped down most likely when i hit a bump. I secured the connector back on the coil rail but the Cherokee will crank but not start. Did the timing get screwed up or the PCM because it was running when the connector loosened? Before i start replacing parts like getting a new coil rail again, i am wondering if anyone had this sort of issue already that may help. Thanks all.
CN

Verify the connector and coil rail connector socket have no pins bent or pin cavities pushed in.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just checked the connector and socket. Both are good. Could it be i damaged this coil rail by the connector slipping out. I disconnected the battery and pcm so everything would reset. Still just cranks. No start.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:31 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

You might want to reset the entire coil pack meaning remove the entire thing and re-install. Changed plugs on my 2000 Xj and one of the pack's plug boots missed one of the spark plugs top electrode connector altogether. Seemed to work fine at first, then randomly stumbled and ran rough. I think enough energy got to the plug to fire it every now and them.

These @#$%& coil packs are one of the worse ideas Chrysler ever came out with IMO. Makes changing plugs from a 15 min. job to a royal PITA.