Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 Cherokee broken radiator overflow cause overheat?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2017, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I-6
Default 98 Cherokee broken radiator overflow cause overheat?

The nipple near the radiator cap that the overflow hose attaches to broke off. I've already read about this problem and the various ways to fix it (I know I need a new radiator), but my question is, could this be the sole cause of the engine overheating? Or would there be something else going on? Thermostat? Water pump?

New to the site today, thanks for any replies!
Old 01-04-2017, 01:08 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 271 Likes on 202 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

When the engine heats up, some coolant normally vents to the overflow bottle and gets drawn back in when it cools down. With the hose missing, the coolant would simply dump on the ground as the engine heated up, though it wouldn't be much. In theory you'd lose coolant until it didn't flow out of the cap, but I wouldn't think it would be more than a quart or so. How does the coolant level look when out take off the cap? My guess is that you have other issues causing the overheating, though this certainly isn't helping.
Old 01-04-2017, 01:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Throw a new radiator in. You need to anyway. I'd change the tstat and waterpump at the same time. What kind of mileage is on this rig? Have you ever performed any cooling system maintenance to it? I see it as a wise investment if you're going to crack open the cooling system and drain the coolant, replace everything and start fresh.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I-6

Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ
Throw a new radiator in. You need to anyway. I'd change the tstat and waterpump at the same time. What kind of mileage is on this rig? Have you ever performed any cooling system maintenance to it? I see it as a wise investment if you're going to crack open the cooling system and drain the coolant, replace everything and start fresh.
I know, you're right. Its got 180,000k and maybe a couple flushes over the years, so all of that is probably needed. Is it worth spending more $ on any of these parts or am I ok with factory replacements? They seem pretty inexpensive.
Old 01-04-2017, 02:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Factory replacement parts are fine. I will be revamping my entire cooling system (except the heater core) come spring time and she's only got 73k original miles. I mostly wheel my rig and I need the cooling system to be at its best.

It will only benefit you to replace everything especially the fact that the parts are relatively inexpensive which is worth the peace of mind it will bring.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 297 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: '96

Recently replaced my cooling system plus a new belt and idler pulley for just under $275.