Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee chirping

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cherokee chirping

I have a 1997 cherokee sport 4WD 6 cylinder. When I turn left and right it makes a chirping noise kind of like a bird or cricket. I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. Any answers to this would be appreciated thank you!!
Old 08-25-2014, 02:52 PM

Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 6-Cylinder

My initial thought is to check both u-joints in the front axle right behind both wheels. Turning the steering wheel while the vehicle is moving will require the u-joints to rotate through their range of motion. While the wheel is turned, there is more stress put on the joint than if the vehicle was traveling in a straight line.
When these joints go bad, they often chirp.
If the axle joints are bad, you should also take a look at the u-joints in both drive shafts; they will likely need to be replaced as well.
Look for movement in one side of the joint while the other side is held steady.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:55 PM

This is a short video showing a quick way to check if there is any play in the u-joint:

Old 08-25-2014, 03:05 PM

Hmm... I should have asked this first:
Does the chirping occur while the vehicle is moving, or while stationary? If it chirps while stationary, I would take a look at the serpentine belt. The belt could be slipping on the power steering pump.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 renix

I would check the belt too. My ujoints were bad....I mean BAD. Stock 1989 dana spicer. With the jeep jacked up, you could rotate the wheel one way, stop it and go in the other direction and you could literally see them going "clunk" when the direction was changed. That being said, both axle and driveshaft u joints shouldn't chirp as much as click. They click pretty obviously and you get a constant rotational "vavump" mixed with a bit of a click. My driveshaft ones on both my xj's clicked real bad when braking.

Not saying it couldn't be ujoints, since it was my first thought as well, but I'd check the belt first, and then move to possibly steering components. Doubtful that it's tierods or anything like that - but it's real easy to check for play in your track bar/tie rods, just get under and watch as someone steers back and forth while stationary. (also, if track bar is bad enough, while sitting still and steering back and forth you will see the front of the Jeep fight you towards the opposite direction for the first second and then correct itself to go the way you steered it.)

Another possibility I would think would be control arm or stabilizer bar bushings? Not sure how much they would chirp, though....
Old 08-26-2014, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by mad.scientist
Hmm... I should have asked this first:
Does the chirping occur while the vehicle is moving, or while stationary? If it chirps while stationary, I would take a look at the serpentine belt. The belt could be slipping on the power steering pump.
It's not the belt cause that's somewhat new and the power steering pump I put in a fee months ago and it only chirps when I am in motion and only when turning left or right. So I would say it's probably the Ujoints?
Old 08-26-2014, 07:48 AM

Year: 1984
Engine: 4 cyl

when you turn, it is lock to lock? Or even on gentle turns? where is the noise mostly coming from? Front left, front right, center? Does it do it only on regular roads, or on hills, bumps, etc? Need more info.
And just because the belt is new doesn't mean it isn't making the noise.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by CompleteCherokee
when you turn, it is lock to lock? Or even on gentle turns? where is the noise mostly coming from? Front left, front right, center? Does it do it only on regular roads, or on hills, bumps, etc? Need more info.
And just because the belt is new doesn't mean it isn't making the noise.
It chirps no matter how wide I turn. When I turn left it comes from the left wheel. When I turn right it come from the right wheel. No matter what incline or road condition it chirps turning either way. But only when turning. When I drive straight it sounds fine
Old 08-26-2014, 03:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0 renix

I'd almost bet on wheel bearings then...
Old 08-26-2014, 03:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

I have to ask this just because I had a similar thing happen with my 2000 when my little brother got his license (he decided it would be cool to drive around town with 4wd engaged). Are you sure the transfercase is not in 4H? Even a new belt can be improperly tentioned but my money would be on the wheel bearings or the u-joints.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:53 AM

Year: 1984
Engine: 4 cyl

if the noise is from both sides, left on left turn and right on right turn, then I'd think either bearings or axle joints. Have you checked to see if there is any play in the shafts?
Old 08-27-2014, 08:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

Mine was chirping like I had Tweety Bird stuck under it, and was worse when turning. Pulled the unit hubs and shafts and you could literally hold the hub and the shaft would stick straight out on the right side one. The Ujoint on that side was almost completely frozen, I had to push really hard to even move it. The wheel bearing was also rough when I would turn it so I just replace the joints and bearings on both sides. Originals from 1985 so was probably about time

Good idea to check both if you are chirping or squeaking and it is rhythmic with your speed.

I do still have some sort of problem as now when I back out of a parking space, as I turn about 2/3 to the lock I get a loud pop/click sound, usually only one or two, then again when I go the same amount to the other side. Not sure if it might be a tie rod end or maybe a ball joint or possibly the track bar.