Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

cherokee auto gearbox problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default cherokee auto gearbox problems

hi there everyone i have just purchased a 1997 cherokee 4ltr auto and seem to be having a few probs with the auto box.firstly when pulling off in drive it sometimes pulls away in what i believe to be second gear and gets stuck in that gear,if i stop and put it through the gears a few times or turn it on and off it pulls away in drive but seems to be just staying in one gear all be it a lower gear,it doesnt seem to change gear at all andsounds like it may be in around 3rd gear.any help and diagnostics would be very much appreciated..
Old 11-04-2009, 01:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Liter L6

not sure if the newer models have it but the older models had a trans control computer on the passenger side under the dashboard. would look there first, then check the plug on the side of the tranny to see if there may be a loose connection
Old 11-04-2009, 04:50 AM

will give it a go cheers
Old 11-10-2009, 04:39 PM

Default auto box probs x2

ive had a diagnostic machine plugged into my auto box and it came up with sensor gone to ground or simular,ive taken the sump off changed the sensor and the regulator to be sure but still the problem is there.just to eliterate on the prob,put it in drive and it will start off in second go to third and thats as far as it goes.sometimes i put it in drive and it will start off in first but stay there and wont change,if i stop go through all the gears put it in first and drive it manually up to drive it will get to third and thats it but if i just start off in drive it will only do second and third.ive just spent 51 quid getting it diagnosed and then another 100+ getting the bits incl new oil etc..pls pls can anyone help me resolve this?is it the gearbox brain maybe?and probebly totally unrelated but when driving i get two lots of 3 bleeps then a square shows up on the bonnet sign on the computer and it says coolant sensor bad..related??pls help many thanks kev
Old 09-04-2010, 05:04 AM

Default gearbox

hi i have the exact same problem gearbox only seems to use second and third gear did you get yours sorted?