Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee 2.5 crd glo plugs

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 08:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question Cherokee 2.5 crd glo plugs

Hi all, I'm a newcomer here so excuse me if I'm asking daft questions....
I've a Cherokee CRD Sport, 2002, 2.5 turbo diesel engine, Its a power tech? engine, and last week, on the first frosty day this autumn, I had severe difficulty gertting it to start...
ticked over strongly for ages, and after a few tries eventually started, and was ok for the rest of the day.
Since then its been the same story every morning, severe problems first thing, then no problems for the rest of the day
I've had the battery checked, 12.5v no problems, and charging fine from the alternator, so I'm assuming its the glow plugs, problem is I cant see them??
So... any advice would be more than welcome, such as:
Are there glow plugs?
If so where are they?
How do I change them?
Do I need to take alternator/ filters/ brackets off to get to them?
Do they have a part number?
Are there suitable alternatives to OEM parts?
and finally.. where can I get them in the UK, and what price should I expect to get them for?

Thanks for you help guys, and info is much appreciated.
Cheers, Richard (Scotland, UK)
Old 11-03-2010, 09:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993 / 1998
Engine: 4.0L / 2.5L TD

http://www.4x4uk.org/forums/index.ph...ur7&board=62.0

Hey Richard,

Good to see another uk jeeper on the forum!. Your CRD 2.5 will have the inline 4 engine (I think).. so you will have 1 glow plug per cylinder, just like spark plugs in a petrol/gas engine. You should be able to access them quite easily somewhere around the top of the engine block... however, when it comes to diesel engines, im still learning myself. Ive got 2 jeep cherokee xj's.. a gas guzzling 1993 4.0L petrol engine limited which I love, and keep for the weekends, and a 1998 2.5L turbo diesel that I use for cheap daily running (dont have to tell you what fuel costs are like in the uk). This forum is awesome for anything related to petrol jeeps, or anything structural/chasis related.. lifts, exhausts, tyres, lights, transmissions,diffs, etc.. you will not find a friendlier more helpfull, informative place online for all your jeep questions. However, diesels are not commonly owned by the forum members here.. check out the link ive included above - it will take you to a uk based foum were you will find a load of diesel owners. Theres one member in particular called "the smiths".... I think that guy was born in the back seat of a diesel jeep!.. If youve got a diesel question, he'll answer it. Good luck, and I hope this helps!.

Last edited by jeep93; 11-04-2010 at 03:18 AM.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeep93
http://www.4x4uk.org/forums/index.ph...ur7&board=62.0

Hey Richard,

Good to see another uk jeeper on the forum!. Your CRD 2.5 will have the inline 4 engine (I think).. so you will have 1 glow plug per cylinder, just like spark plugs in a petrol/gas engine. You should be able to access them quite easily somewhere around the top of the engine block... however, when it comes to diesel engines, im still learning myself. Ive got 2 jeep cherokee xj's.. a gas guzzling 1993 4.0L petrol engine limited which I love, and keep for the weekends, and a 1998 2.5L turbo diesel that I use for cheap daily running (dont have to tell you what fuel costs are like in the uk). This forum is awesome for anything related to petrol jeeps, or anything structural/chasis related.. lifts, exhausts, tyres, lights, transmissions,diffs, etc.. you will not find a friendlier more helpfull, informative place online for all your jeep questions. However, diesels are not commonly owned by the forum members here.. check out the link ive included above - it will take you to a uk based foum were you will find a load of diesel owners. Theres one member in particular called "the smiths".... I think that guy was born in the back seat of a diesel jeep!.. If youve got a diesel question, he'll answer it. Good luck, and I hope this helps!.
Hi! thanks for that, certainly looks like theres plenty of information in here, its trying to srt the wheat from the chaff thet might be the tricky bit. Honestly i can find NOTHING on the net about Cherokee 2.5 crd sport glow plugs, I was beginning to think it didnt have any.
Yes its a straight 4 engine, and the injectors and diesel run-of pipe are clearly visible along the top of the engine... but no sign of the glow plugs :-(
Ill paste my question into the link you provided, again, cheers for the info, Ricky