Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cherokee 100,000 service - suspension related.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cherokee 100,000 service - suspension related.

Just picked up an 01 Cherokee limited, 4.0/AT. Originally my dads car from new. Although he changed the oil regularly, that's about ALL he does to cars.

So it runs good, but it's pretty sloppy and clunky suspension wise. Looking under it, I suspect that the front pan-hard rod bushing is bad - though I am not sure about the ball-joint where it ties off to the uni-frame.

The front control arm bushings also look cracked, but I am not entirely sure if they are BAD or just a bit worn. It did have a bit of the "death wobble" going on, but about a year ago replacing the steering damper seemed to mostly correct this, but has not helped with the clunkyness and generally sloppy feeling. I know the car has 2 live axles and is never going to feel fantastic, but I think I have some wear items here.

Does anyone have a list of parts and best places to get the suspected suspension components that I will need to clean up some of this slop from the suspension? Am I overlooking anything?

I am also planning on doing the shocks on all 4 corners as the left front is leaking. recommendations on that?

It's a really clean truck with hardly any rust and a strong drive-line, so I think it's well worth putting a couple hundred bucks into. Highway driving it manages almost 20, runs on regular gas and it's an SUV with 4WD... and the price was right, so I'm not complaining!

On another related note, there are a few other minor issues. Front door speakers are intermittent - is this a connection issue, and if so, which one is the typical culprit? It also has an issue with the driver door power window lockout switch. seems like it's just stuck on "Lockout" so only the driver window switch pack functions. suggestions on that? Thanks a bunch!
Old 11-13-2014, 02:54 PM

no one with any thoughts on this?
Old 11-13-2014, 04:30 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

What are you going to use it for? DD, off-road rig? Grocery getter? Front speaker wires get broken in the boot going from body to door. Just eliminate the factory wiring and run your own splicing to the harness behind the kick panel.
Old 11-13-2014, 04:35 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Posting from my phone here but this should get you started!

Congratulations on the XJ. Most of them will run forever if you keep up the basics. Since you said it's a 2001 that was barely maintained the first thing you need to do is look up "0331 head". 2000-2001 4.0L cylinder heads have a poor casting that makes them prone to cracking if overheated. This is exacerbated by lack of cooling system maintenance. Make this your #1 priority to find out if this has happened, and if not, prevent against it before proceeding.

Stuff like the tie rod ends need to be greased regularly to stay happy. That said, they wear out over time. The track bar (pan-hard rod) is replaced as a single assembly. If this is visibly bad it's probably the source of your death wobble.

Steering components should be replaced too probably. A no-extra-cost upgrade is to use a tie rod from a V8 ZJ. You can find part numbers in threads discussing the V8 ZJ steering swap. Moog I've always considered a reliable brand but a couple professional mechanics on here have been very disappointed with their products lately so I'm not sure what to tell you.

As for shocks get some mid range Monroes and you'll be happy. If you're going to lift the XJ this recommedation changes. If you live somewhere rusty look up one of the zillion threads on rear shock upper bolt issues. They snap easily.

The electrical problems are pretty common. It's broken wiring between the driver's door and body. There's a little hack you can do to bypass the window lock switch but the speaker wire needs to be re-run.

Every mod and topic I suggested can be found on this site by going to Google, typing in what you're looking for (eg. Window lock switch bypass) and including "site:cherokeeforum.com". The in-site search is pretty bad.