Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

check engine code

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default check engine code

OK i have a problem with my 96 xj sport not sure what is going on maybe someone here can help. first what i was doing when it happen.

Im traveling down the highway cruz on at 60, then it was almost like when you put a vehicle on criz in nutral. High rpms then cruz turned of. I have no drive or 1-2-3. (mean time check engine light comes on) cost to a light run through all the gears and i get 1-2 gears, but it is shifting at 4k. get to the gas station thinking i had blown the trany. I get under it not a drop of fluid. levels are good. i had a manual so check the codes i get 12, 24, 55. nothing i can do on the side of the road so i start it back up to try and get back home, and iknow it shifts fine have al the gears back and cruz is working again. Check engine light is still on. so i make it home messing with it and the lights in the cab are dimming out at idle and my battery guage is reading under 14. So i begain looking into that, and with the jeep running pulled the positive lead off the battery and the jeep begins to almost die and come back. in the mean time the cab lights and head lights are going crazy dime then going to as bright as can be. now im baffled and go to the cab and the battery meater is going from 10 to 19 at the highest. Like the altenator is surging the system.

As you can tell i dont know what to do first.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

DO NOT pull the cable off of the battery while the engine is running! You can cause a voltage spike and fry the PCM. It sounds like your alternator may be starting to go out. You can replace the brushes in it...if you can find a place that sells them.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Agree that you shouldn't pull the battery cable off. Bad practice as the spikes can fry the alternator and or computer.

Read this article regarding that....

http://www.troubleshooters.com/dont_...ct_battery.htm

Concentrate on the code 24 (the 12 and 55 are normal). The 24 is for the "throttle position sensor; voltage high or low". I would recommend replacing the TPS.

That may resolve the code AND your symptoms as the TPS is directly involved with transmission shifting characteristics.

And for your charging system, the "target" for a healthy system with a good battery is in the 13.5 to 14.0 volt range, give or take. You can verify this with a meter directly at the battery itself if you want to.
Old 03-03-2011, 10:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks guys i did nopt know that disconnecting the terminal would cause that. I will replace the altenator and the TPS and see if that fixes the issue.