Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Changing the rear seal

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Changing the rear seal

OK time
to change the rear seal, 2 days to get the oil pan of and then it took my son (who is a weight lifter) and I with a breaker bar (2 ft.) to get those bolts undone, well we got the cap ( I don't think those bolts were torked to specs) off and surprisingly the bearing was in good condition but the seal was another matter, I had to take one of my small screw drivers and beat the medal part of the seal out (the rubber part fell out when I took the oil pan off) I'v taken a drift punch to the upper seal and it's like hitting iron, any suggestions for getting the top one out would greatly be appreciated if not it looks like I'm going to half to overhaul the dang thing for a 10 minute job. Very frustrating now, it's starting to rain in the beautiful sunshine state of WA.

Last edited by Ric1; 09-29-2017 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Pics
Old 09-29-2017, 11:53 AM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L Magnum V8 220hp 285ft-lbs

My experience is that loosening the other main bearing caps during the main seal replacement permits the crankshaft to be a more loose fit, making removal / replacement of the top half of the seal MUCH easier.

Then, everything is torqued back to the FSM specification.
Old 09-29-2017, 07:04 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I had to loosen all the caps and it still would not come out. After trying everything that I could think of and research about, I took the new seal and started pressing it in and the old one finally came out. Had to buy another new seal but that was a small price to pay to get that stubborn old seal out. I love to watch all the videos of how easy they make it look. Good luck!
Old 09-29-2017, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I have neven loosened the other main caps. The one in my xj was a pain. I used a punch and hammer. Anger helped get it out. I did one on a buddies xj not too long ago and it slid right out. When putting the new seal in, be sure to use that little paper thing in the bag.
Old 09-30-2017, 12:45 AM

Default Ugh need help

Ok so about a month ago I replaced my rear main seal also and the pan gasket. But now the pan leaks and I don't know if I got the pan bolts to tight enough, or I messed up the pan and now it's bent... some help would be awesome... I did not use a torque wrench I just tightened them until my convert zone if you will... any suggestion thanks
Old 09-30-2017, 12:48 AM

I had to loosen the whole crank and then mine came right out easy