Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Steel wheels. Paint? Plastidip? Silver? Black? Got pics ??

Old 09-29-2017, 10:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Steel wheels. Paint? Plastidip? Silver? Black? Got pics ??

Well, gonna put some new tires on my 99 XJ and some day I'll get better wheels for it, but for now I have to use the steelies that came with it. Problem is, some of the factory silver paint is gone. I'd like to clean them up a little and am thinking of repainting them, but didn't know some of the best methods were. Personally, I like sandblast and powdercoat, but my local guy charges $100 per wheel, and at that price, I'll go buy wheels before I have factory steelies done up. So, I'm thinking, just pressure wash them, dry them, wipe down with acetone, prime with self etching primer, then paint. Do I do silver? Do I do black? Is plastidip or bedliner a better choice? I've never "painted" wheels before, what's the usual thing done these days? Anyone got pics of theirs?
Old 09-29-2017, 11:26 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack

rattle can.

PS nice 2 door
Old 09-30-2017, 02:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Any chance you have a Line-X franchise near you? I had some pieces of my Jeep Line-X'ed. Door molding, roof skid strips, factory mud flaps, and some factory running boards that I picked up that were green and needed to be black to match my Jeep which is black. I asked them about doing wheels. Did not ask about pricing though. Wondering if it would effect the bead and whatnot. They did not know for sure. Said they did do it once for somebody. All the same questions I had came up whether it would work or not. They said the customer said lets give it a try. Thing is the customer never got back to them as to whether it did work or not. Something to think about maybe? Here is a shot of what Line-X'ed door molding looks like.
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2017, 02:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Bedliner is pretty thick AND heavy. It would almost certainly throw off the wheel balance.

Best option is to have them powder-coated if you will be using them offroad. Or just use some rattle-can spray paint that is easy to find at a local store so you can touch it up every few years.

Something like this;
Amazon Amazon

On-road only and I would just rattle can spraypaint them. Plastidip does not hold up that well over time.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by investinwaffles
Bedliner is pretty thick AND heavy. It would almost certainly throw off the wheel balance.
Good points. Some of the questions I had but it is not as thick as you might think it is. At least not the Line-X. I was prompted to go this route on those pieces I mentioned after seeing a work truck owned by somebody I know. Very thin layer if you ask me in the bed and tops of their tool boxes. Their truck had been done 2 years previous. Swear it looked like they just had it done. But I agree that it would be a gamble.
Old 09-30-2017, 07:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 297 Likes on 252 Posts
Year: '96

Did these with rattle cans. The center caps were already black.

Old 09-30-2017, 07:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5 liter

Rattle can on mine. Just cleaned them up good. Scotch brite scuff on all the exposed outer surfaces, just to help adhesion, rewashed them good and let dry. Rattle can with Krylon self-etching matte-black paint, about 3-4 medium light coats, went with that. So far the paint is holding up good. Minimal off-road so far though.

With rattle can at least touch up will be easy enough.

Painted my bumpers the same way to match the wheels.

Sorry, no pictures.

Happy Jeepin'