Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Change old slave cylinder clutch.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 11:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 4dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 liter 4cyl
Default Change old slave cylinder clutch.

I have received from a friend of mine a ax5 trans married to a 231 transfer case out of a 1996 wrangler. I am going to put it in my 87 xj. I have some concerns about the style clutch master the newer trans has as opposed to the older style master clutch cylinder. Would like to use the master and slave cylinder off of the new style but don't know if the master cylinder will adapt to the firewall of the older style xj setup.
Some input would be nice. Thinking of drilling holes in the firewall to adapt new matching master cylinder style and slave cylinder. Looks like the only way to fit into the xj. Everything else on the trans and transfer case will work on the xj. Length the same and transfer case linkage the same. Also is the drive shaft yoke different and can I just get away with changing the yoke on the drive shaft.
Thanks guys I hope it was not to much to ask at one time, I have to get that piece of crap slave cylinder throw out bearing out of the xj and I came across this set up and the price was right 100.00 smack aroos with only 70000 miles on it. They rolled the Wrangler and trashed the rest of the jeep except for this and the rear ends and engine.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Makes sense to me. Drill some holes...can't hurt and if you miss, cover with sheet metal and start over.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

see if the front shaft will in thr rear then just go to the jy and get a nother front .Are both lines fron the master removeable ?

Last edited by freegdr; 12-09-2010 at 07:17 AM.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by freegdr
see if the front shaft will in thr rear then just go to the jy and get a nother front .Are both lines fron the master removeable ?
Thats only if the np231 has a sye. The wranglers did not come with them.
Old 12-09-2010, 08:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 4dr
Engine: 2.5 liter 4cyl
Default drillin for oil.

The rear shaft has that bellows over the slip yoke part of the drive shaft but other wise looks like the same size slip yoke spline. I am going to take my drive shaft off of my xj and just see if it fits on the splines of the new style output, no big deal I can get another yoke and put it on my drive shaft. The slave cylinder and Master cylinder has the plastic style line with the roll pin holding them in place. The master has a longer mounting bold setup at the firewall. I do not like the plastic roll pine lines, rather use the flare nut style line to the slave and the master, my biggest concern can you use and older style slave at the clutch with the flare nut style line? Will that slave have the right length rod for the throw out bearing yoke.
When I was wrenching for a living my favorite tool was a 2lb ball penn hammer, the saying goes, " if it don't go get a bigger hammer and if it breaks it needed replacing anyway!"