Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

CCV elbows...front different to back?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 04:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default CCV elbows...front different to back?

Hi all.

Had my CCV elbows changed in my 2001 due to oil seepage around the valve cover.

Looking at what's been done, I now have 2 gray elbows. Not sure what I had before. I know these things come in 3 colours (gray, black and blue - it says so on the elbow) and have a horrible feeling that two grays isn't right.

Can anybody help out? In particular, if it's not right, will I be doing any harm if I leave them in for a while until I get a chance to swap them out?

Cheers in advance...

Ash
Old 12-31-2012, 08:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

I'd be more concerned about the size of them rather than the color of them. Are they the same exact sized elbow now?
Old 12-31-2012, 08:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced both of those elbows when I recently did the valve cover gasket on my '00. One gray, one black. If I remember correctly, the gray one had a small hole in the portion that sticks inside the valve cover, but the black one was wide open all the way through. The black one was a bit taller as well. So, they are definitely different.

I originally ordered both front and rear elbows from NAPA. Different part numbers, but they were the same thing (gray rear elbow I believe). Had to get the front one from the dealer.

Not sure what running one right and one wrong one might have.
Old 12-31-2012, 09:12 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

On mine, the gray elbow is in the rear. It connects to the intake and has a little orifice in it to limit the suction under the valve cover. The front one is black and is connected to filtered air from the airbox. It has no orifice.

If you had two black elbows, it would be like a massive intake leak with a tornado rushing under your valve cover. Undriveable.

With two grays, there's very little CCV air flow in the engine. Very little airbox air would be going under the valve cover because of the orifice.

My $.02...
Old 12-31-2012, 09:35 AM

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Just checked and it looks like I have two 'metered' (gray) elbows, instead of one 'metered' and one 'open' (black).

Unbelievable incompetence from both the supplying main dealer and installing garage (once again, unfortunately...).

With this being the case, the comment about a lack of air going into the valve cover rings true to me.

I guess my question is how long I can drive around like this before I cause any major damage? Could be some time before I get to get this fixed, see...

Thanks again.

Ash
Old 12-31-2012, 09:46 AM

With two grays, assuming both have orifices, drivability shouldn't be an issue. The proper amount of engine vapors wouldn't be going into the intake for proper disposition so emissions could be an issue, though.

If it was me, I'd just drill out the forward one to a larger size and press on without worries...
Old 12-31-2012, 01:22 PM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

Originally Posted by kansas-klx
With two grays, assuming both have orifices, drivability shouldn't be an issue. The proper amount of engine vapors wouldn't be going into the intake for proper disposition so emissions could be an issue, though.

If it was me, I'd just drill out the forward one to a larger size and press on without worries...
+1 easy to convert a metered-orifice one into free flowing.
Old 12-31-2012, 03:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Blueboy1875
Hi all.

Had my CCV elbows changed in my 2001 due to oil seepage around the valve cover.

Looking at what's been done, I now have 2 gray elbows. Not sure what I had before. I know these things come in 3 colours (gray, black and blue - it says so on the elbow) and have a horrible feeling that two grays isn't right.

Can anybody help out? In particular, if it's not right, will I be doing any harm if I leave them in for a while until I get a chance to swap them out?

Cheers in advance...

Ash
Why don't you just take it back to the butcher that replaced the fittings and have them install the correct fittings.

For your reference, here's a pic of my '99 engine bay that shows the fittings. '94 thru 2001 are the same, fitting wise. Pic was for another issue so the fitting view is off center.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:42 AM

Got an answer to my own question regarding 'what if...'.

Drove around doing a few errands. Idle was a lot higher than normal and wouldn't settle down (especially with the A/C on). Peeked under the engine and oil was all over the pan where the drain plug is. Seems to have leaked out of the rear main, although I think there was also some seepage around the valve cover which might have dripped down.

Pretty ****** off as I've just spent two years getting rid of all the leaks and now this.

I'm guessing that the absence of fresh air circulating in the engine (because of the gray elbow to the air filter box) meant that blowby gases accumulated in the crankcase, which meant increased pressure and then oil leaks. Happy to be corrected if my little 'theory' is wrong....

Went to the dealer just to test them out. Asked for the CCV elbows for my make and model. Sure as eggs is eggs, out the guy comes with two grays. I then point out the different part number for the black elbow which I got off a write up on Jeep Forum. Starts to stroke his chin, light bulb goes on over his head and back he comes with a black elbow. Idiot no. 1 right there.

Go back to the garage. Cocksure mechanic still insists that two gray elbows is correct. I 'suprise' him with the black elbow and he starts scratching his head. I ask him whether he noticed the difference in opening between the ones he took out and the ones he put in. Hands in pockets, shrugs shoulders, looks at floor, starts kicking heels. Idiot no. 2 right there.

Anyhow, I got him to swap the gray elbow to the front with the correct black one. Seems to be running fine again now.

My only question now is about the oil leaks. Will this one instance of leakage have damaged my gaskets/seals to the point that I'll have to replace them? Or will they most likely be ok in the long term?

Cheers again for any input.

Ash
Old 01-01-2013, 07:12 AM

Glad to see the elbow thing is settled.

As for the leaks, I wouldn't do anything yet except clean around the affected areas and monitor over a few days/weeks. No point tearing into everything if your leaks may have been just transitory...
Old 01-01-2013, 09:34 AM

Kansas - done exactly as you've said. Just crawled under the Jeep, wiped up the oil and will keep an eye on things for a while (with everything crossed...).

Gents - advice appreciated a lot on this one. Thanks a bunch.

Ash