Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Caved in roof fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 10:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Caved in roof fixes?

How many of you have rolled our Cherokee and caved in your roof?

did you fix it yourself?

I figure someone on here has wheeled hard and had a oops moment and fixed their own roof.

I bought a nice 2 door SE with a 5 speed that was rolled onto its side with a caved in roof.

If you have jacked a caved in roof before and can give me any pointers please do!
Attached Thumbnails Caved in roof fixes?-img_0872.jpg   Caved in roof fixes?-img_0883.jpg  
Old 04-07-2016, 10:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L H.O.

If you bought it to build it up into a trail run, cool. Beat the roof up into roughly the right shape, cage it and be on your way.

If you're looking for a street driver, you've got yourself a great parts car there. Just need to find a good shell to put those parts into.

That's structural damage, and on an XJ, that spells doom. The body is never going to square up properly again. It won't seal up right, and it's not going to be safe in the event of an accident.
Old 04-08-2016, 10:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

My son bought one like that from an Insurance salvage pool 4 or 5 yrs. ago about the same damage. We were able to repair it enough to get a new windshield in it and get doors to close ok.

It took a little time but for the most part we only used 2 tools a 2 ton bottle jack and a Hi-Lift jack. Care must be taken with the windshield area, we used wooded dowels in it to keep the seal area from bending any more. We did this job in less than a day taking our time to not over do anything or bend other metal.

The glass shop finished our work when they installed the glass for us for an extra $35.

He drove this for a year or so to work as a DD till he sold it for a nice profit even with a salvage title.