Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Caster issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Caster issues.

Recently i put a 6.5" RC lift on my 95 with 35s. NOw i did the alignment at work. I do alignments all day everyday so i am very well versed on how to do them and what not. BUT for the life of me i can not picture how to adjust the caster on mine to get it to stop pulling right. All four control arms are adjustable and i need to get this straightened out, no pun intended, due to the fact that im about to go on a 1200 mile trip. It just pulls hard at lower speeds, but at higher highway speeds it goes only slightly drifts right. Anyone have any ideas on where to adjust it?
Old 04-15-2009, 02:45 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Ok on the frame side where the control arm mounts there are two bolts on the back side of that mount, a flange connected to those, and should be a wedge between the flange and the frame CA mount. You have to use wedges/shims in there to push the LCA forward to adjust caster. You should also be able to do this by adjusting the adjustable CA's as well.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:48 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

Also I forget what factory caster is suppose to be but I do believe you want it slightly different once you have a lift. I talked to overlandXJ once about this I think and he told me how much caster you need.

You can go here http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoAlignment.htm and scroll down to caster adjustment for further info.
Old 04-15-2009, 02:48 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 87
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by okcjeeper
Ok on the frame side where the control arm mounts there are two bolts on the back side of that mount, a flange connected to those, and should be a wedge between the flange and the frame CA mount. You have to use wedges/shims in there to push the LCA forward to adjust caster. You should also be able to do this by adjusting the adjustable CA's as well.
I would check to make sure your control arms are the same length. Also make sure your brake isnt dragging a lil on that side. Then as posted above add the correct amount of shims to get it to go straight.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:14 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0
Question

Originally Posted by big95xj
Recently i put a 6.5" RC lift on my 95 with 35s. NOw i did the alignment at work. I do alignments all day everyday so i am very well versed on how to do them and what not. BUT for the life of me i can not picture how to adjust the caster on mine to get it to stop pulling right. All four control arms are adjustable and i need to get this straightened out, no pun intended, due to the fact that im about to go on a 1200 mile trip. It just pulls hard at lower speeds, but at higher highway speeds it goes only slightly drifts right. Anyone have any ideas on where to adjust it?

I have two brand new 2 degree upper ball joints for a xj cherokee paid $240.00 will take $200.00 for them. That might fix your problem. You will know beter then me if you do alighnments all day.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by big95xj
Check your caster on each side. You will probably find that just like two of the XJs I have owned the caster is 1.5 degrees different. It is enough that you can see it if you are looking closely. I was told that it is set up this way at the factory so if you fall asleep the Jeep goes into the ditch instead of oncoming traffic. The fix for this is to put 1.5 degree off set top ball joint in.