Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

cars blownin codes

Old 12-19-2010, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default cars blownin codes

P0135
bank 1 sensor what is that
P0705
P0700
Old 12-19-2010, 12:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

they should be in your repair manual
Old 12-19-2010, 02:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.o

Your first code is an oxygen sensor, and the other two are transmission codes......
Old 12-19-2010, 05:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

P0135 is an oxygen sensor heater code. Be sure to check the FUSE for the oxygen sensor heater circuit (yes, that is fused) in the power distribution center (black box) under the hood.

The other two codes P0700 and P0705 often show up when there is a problem with the neutral safety switch (NSS). Especially likely to be the NSS if you aren't suffering from any tranny symptoms.

Refurbishing the NSS can sometimes take care of these. Worth a try. Here is a link.

http://bc4x4.com/tech/2010/jeep-neut...ty-switch-nss/
Old 12-19-2010, 06:37 PM

Oh, dude, I feel for you. I've been trying to pass inspection for a freaking month now from P0700 and P0705.

Replaced the Speed Sensor twice, once with a Bosch, and again with OEM. Then, replaced the transaxle range sensor, which is actually what those codes are pointing at. That one's a stone-cold *****.

17 miles later, today, check engine light comes on again. I KNOW it's that dadgum low voltage warning from the TRS. I just KNOW it.

I'm pulling my hair out over this one.
Old 12-19-2010, 06:39 PM

Year: 1998

i replaced the 02 sensor yesterday and it still wasnt working it threw a code and i returnd theni got another o2 sensor and blew the code again i just checked the fuse box under the hood and one fuse was blown a small 15 amp fuse is this the fuse your talking about?
Old 12-20-2010, 05:59 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by white crow
i replaced the 02 sensor yesterday and it still wasnt working it threw a code and i returnd theni got another o2 sensor and blew the code again i just checked the fuse box under the hood and one fuse was blown a small 15 amp fuse is this the fuse your talking about?
I can't recall the exact location of the oxygen sensor heater code but if you have a BLOWN FUSE, you absolutely need to replace it to see if that resolves the code and monitor that fuse to be sure that it doesn't blow again.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by nomeaculpa
Oh, dude, I feel for you. I've been trying to pass inspection for a freaking month now from P0700 and P0705.

Replaced the Speed Sensor twice, once with a Bosch, and again with OEM. Then, replaced the transaxle range sensor, which is actually what those codes are pointing at. That one's a stone-cold *****.

17 miles later, today, check engine light comes on again. I KNOW it's that dadgum low voltage warning from the TRS. I just KNOW it.

I'm pulling my hair out over this one.
Okay, so now I need some advice. After chasing all of these sensor warnings, replacing stuff time and again, we've narrowed this down to a bad computer, or a problem with the wiring harness. Something rubbing up against metal somewhere.

I'm up against the wall here timewise, because I failed inspection several weeks ago, and it's my primary driver. And there's snow on the ground.

4.0 '97 Cherokee Sport.

My mechanic...I said I'm up against the wall He says he has a friend who has the "big machine." He doesn't speak English well, so bear with me...is there some sort of deal that hooks up to the Jeep at a bunch of different points and diagnoses a harness short?

There's no power coming through to the transaxle range switch. He says it's either the computer, or a short. This makes sense to me, but what am I missing?

Also, given this info, my options seem to be either springing for a computer, or tracing down a short that may not exist. And if I go with a computer, what are the risks of going with an aftermarket or refurb?

This had to happen at Christmas...yeesh.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:51 AM

Bump. Really needing some help on this one. Thanks.
Old 12-23-2010, 06:21 AM
CF Veteran

nomeaculpa,

There should be a way of verifying the wiring circuit going TO the nss. I think you need a "technician" not a mechanic, who has experience in automotive electronics. Your problem requires some expertise which not all mechanics have.

If you aren't seeing power to the NSS, this is more likely an "open" than a short.

My gut feel is that this is not the computer. Sure could be, but the computer gets blamed far more often than it is guilty. Just for grins, have you tried removing the computer connections, cleaning them with a few sprays of electrical contact cleaner, then reconnecting?

I really think you need a good automotive ELECTRONICS technician here.......
Old 12-23-2010, 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
nomeaculpa,

There should be a way of verifying the wiring circuit going TO the nss. I think you need a "technician" not a mechanic, who has experience in automotive electronics. Your problem requires some expertise which not all mechanics have.

If you aren't seeing power to the NSS, this is more likely an "open" than a short.

My gut feel is that this is not the computer. Sure could be, but the computer gets blamed far more often than it is guilty. Just for grins, have you tried removing the computer connections, cleaning them with a few sprays of electrical contact cleaner, then reconnecting?

I really think you need a good automotive ELECTRONICS technician here.......
Yep, you're right, but it's not the NSS. It's the range sensor. Different sensor about two feet forward on the tranny from the speed sensor, and a ***** to get at.

I happened onto the district manager at the shop today, and this guy's got chops. He tells me 90% of the computer diagnoses are BS, and that it's almost never the computer.

Now, call me dumbass, but he points out that the one shot my Jeep has taken is right behind the computer. Never even thought about it. Had my mind all wrapped around a wire rubbed off on the frame somewhere...and he points out that the computer took a direct shot from a small fender-bender. Yeesh...never even thought about it from that perspective.

Does anyone know if the computer in a 97 Cherokee is dolloped in silicon? If it is, that shot wasn't hard enough to mess with it. If not...that's my problem.

Either way, I'm going to pull the whole shebang apart tomorrow, spray and wipe it all down with alcohol, and see if it makes any difference. I don't expect it will, but worth a shot.