Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Carpet Removal and Rust Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 11:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 inline 6
Default Carpet Removal and Rust Issues

Okay, so today I removed the passenger seat, I don't really remember why anymore, but I assure you there is a method to my madness. I figured that since the seat was out I could take a look under the carpet, well what I found surprised me, the floor is starting to surface rust pretty severly, luckily its not through and through. And the underside is solid no surface rust what-so-ever. So i've decided to gut the Jeep of all carpet, here is my plan following that:

1. Remove trim panels
2. Cut carpet out in sections and through into bin
3. Wire wheel the floor in any surface rusted areas
4. POR-15 the floor (Two coats in areas that need it)
5. Bedline the floor (Two thick coats from trunk forward)
6. Reassemble the interior

I am dead set on using POR-15, I've heard many good things about it and have spoken to people who have used it on their own cars. My main question here is how does my plan sound? To me it seems ROCK SOLID. I know to some people here I seem to be particular about the way stuff is done but I want to do a repair once. Do it right, do it once is my motto.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:11 PM

Engine: 4.6L Stroker

Originally Posted by xjwanted
Okay, so today I removed the passenger seat, I don't really remember why anymore, but I assure you there is a method to my madness. I figured that since the seat was out I could take a look under the carpet, well what I found surprised me, the floor is starting to surface rust pretty severly, luckily its not through and through. And the underside is solid no surface rust what-so-ever. So i've decided to gut the Jeep of all carpet, here is my plan following that:

1. Remove trim panels
2. Cut carpet out in sections and through into bin
3. Wire wheel the floor in any surface rusted areas
4. POR-15 the floor (Two coats in areas that need it)
5. Bedline the floor (Two thick coats from trunk forward)
6. Reassemble the interior

I am dead set on using POR-15, I've heard many good things about it and have spoken to people who have used it on their own cars. My main question here is how does my plan sound? To me it seems ROCK SOLID. I know to some people here I seem to be particular about the way stuff is done but I want to do a repair once. Do it right, do it once is my motto.

rock solid.

your smart. do it right= do it once.

excellent! a lot of that rust is just from your shoes and whatever you bring in the vehicle.. but it could also be your windshield seals, its not uncommon for water to come down from the sides and puddle up on your floor boards. (not as intense as i make it sound) but just something to glance at. best of luck!
Old 03-30-2010, 11:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

knock around with a hammer a little and check to see if it is actually solid
Old 03-30-2010, 11:56 PM

Year: 1996

Well im glad you arent in the problem i am in. I was under mine today and i knew there were a few spots that were soft. Well I was just killing time and got under it and looked......Well the pass. side by the tranny tunnel my insulation is hanging out, all down the outside of the frame rail is rusting, alot of it is SOFT!, and going into the rear wheel well is rusted pretty bad. Thats not it either, on the drivers side the toe board is rusted through pretty much, its there but when you push on it, your finger can go through the metal. So with me finding all of that, i dont know what to do. Drive it til it just falls apart considering it runs awesome, Or pull my carpet out and pretty much weld a new floor in over top the old floor seal up the new floor and install the interior. What do you guys think i should do. It is kinda bad really. I painted all the rusted stuff today, coating it really good hoping that might slow down the process. Maybe i will post some pics on here tomorrow or something to let you guys see how bad it is.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1992

weld new metal in
Old 03-31-2010, 12:02 AM

Engine: 4.6L Stroker

x2

cut it out weld new in, good to go!
Old 03-31-2010, 04:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 96liftedXJ
Well im glad you arent in the problem i am in. I was under mine today and i knew there were a few spots that were soft. Well I was just killing time and got under it and looked......Well the pass. side by the tranny tunnel my insulation is hanging out, all down the outside of the frame rail is rusting, alot of it is SOFT!, and going into the rear wheel well is rusted pretty bad. Thats not it either, on the drivers side the toe board is rusted through pretty much, its there but when you push on it, your finger can go through the metal. So with me finding all of that, i dont know what to do. Drive it til it just falls apart considering it runs awesome, Or pull my carpet out and pretty much weld a new floor in over top the old floor seal up the new floor and install the interior. What do you guys think i should do. It is kinda bad really. I painted all the rusted stuff today, coating it really good hoping that might slow down the process. Maybe i will post some pics on here tomorrow or something to let you guys see how bad it is.
Or you could buy a same year jeep thats in better shape body wise but has a shot engine and swap everything over. That's what I did when my brother rolled my pristine 98 xj, but that Jeep didn't have any rust b/c it was from the south.
Old 03-31-2010, 04:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Well thanks for the replies everybody, I dont think the floor strength has been compromised, because i've been underneath it and it looks like a new Jeep. I just figure that why let a good thing go to waste, it runs great (because I had a new drivetrain swapped in) and has some rust isssues, nothing, that as long as its not through and through, POR-15 won't be able to fix. I will take a hammer to the metal though and see for sure when I pull everything out, but I think i'm going to be okay. I took it four wheeling yesterday, my last Jeep was lifted but these stock ones' can go the distance. Anyway I'm going to order the POR-15 tonight, it should get here in two business day's. Thanks
Old 03-31-2010, 04:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by MASTERS
rock solid.

your smart. do it right= do it once.

excellent! a lot of that rust is just from your shoes and whatever you bring in the vehicle.. but it could also be your windshield seals, its not uncommon for water to come down from the sides and puddle up on your floor boards. (not as intense as i make it sound) but just something to glance at. best of luck!
Yes, I have noticed that water going in from the seal on the driver side of the windsheild. Not a ton but I can see the seepage.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:13 PM

Year: 1996

That would be a good idea to swap everything but i dont have the money to buy another one. My jeep is in great shape body wise, its just the floor that is getting bad. I think that i would be better off and money ahead if i just welded in a new floor. The tunnel is in good shape its just outside the tunnel. So thanks for the replies, im goin to do some digging and find some good metal for cheap.
Old 03-31-2010, 05:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if its just minor bubbles sand it down to bare metal coat it and bed line it...Done.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 98 JeepJeep
if its just minor bubbles sand it down to bare metal coat it and bed line it...Done.
Yeah, I just pulled the seat out again and started hitting the metal with a wrench, looks like were in good shape. It appears to just be bubbling and starting up but for that added protection i'm going to use POR-15 just in case. Now I'm going to go for a short drive to relax for a little. Peace
Old 04-01-2010, 01:02 AM

Dont want to sound stupid but what's POR-15?? What does it do??
Old 04-01-2010, 08:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

its a paint that stops rust spread.
Old 04-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Seasoned Member

Bear in mind that without the carpet and padding your center console will not sit flush with the floor, it will sit up about 1/2-3/4" which looks a little weird to me. Also, there are a few wires that run under the carpet and will be exposed if you remove it so you will have to do something to protect/hide them. You will also pick up a lot of road noise. Not trying to discourage you, just want you to know what your getting in to.

Quick Reply: Carpet Removal and Rust Issues