Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Can worn out motor mounts cause driveshaft vibrations? vibes?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 09:39 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: V6 4L
Default Can worn out motor mounts cause driveshaft vibrations? vibes?

I'm having some weird vibrations coming from the back end of my jeep when I accelerate or when the automatic transmition switches from 1st to 2nd. I put in a new yoke, driveshaft, and change the u-joints, but no luck
Old 05-20-2011, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: I6 4.0L

Yes. Never seen it cause drive shaft vibes, but vibrations yes. seen it most in 97 up cherokee's. Most of the time they cause a vibration at idle.

Last edited by dweezer; 05-20-2011 at 11:24 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-21-2011, 02:01 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Originally Posted by dweezer
Yes. Never seen it cause drive shaft vibes, but vibrations yes. seen it most in 97 up cherokee's. Most of the time they cause a vibration at idle.

I have zero vibrations at idle though.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:11 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0L

I had to replace mine, it would do it mainly on light to moderate throttle. hard acceleration nothing and idle nothing. I would also get a tapping sound sometimes when starting from a dead stop. pry on it with a pry bar it shouldn't move up and down much. It also shouldn't be torn at all. most mounts are visually bad. from what you are describing it sounds like a trans mount. but if you replace it might as well do the motor mounts too. its a good practice to replace all the mounts around the same time, as one failing allows it to make the others twist and carry more load then normal.

Last edited by Gorillaxj; 05-21-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:31 AM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

Originally Posted by Gorillaxj
I had to replace mine, it would do it mainly on light to moderate throttle. hard acceleration nothing and idle nothing. I would also get a tapping sound sometimes when starting from a dead stop. pry on it with a pry bar it shouldn't move up and down much. It also shouldn't be torn at all. most mounts are visually bad. from what you are describing it sounds like a trans mount. but if you replace it might as well do the motor mounts too. its a good practice to replace all the mounts around the same time, as one failing allows it to make the others twist and carry more load then normal.
Thanks a lot gorilla ill check it out tomorrow
Old 05-21-2011, 02:43 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L I-6

Originally Posted by Gorillaxj
X2