Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Can someone tell where these go?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Can someone tell where these go?

Bought this jeep back in the summer and everything has been working accordingly since. Today I went though the engine bay and noticed a lot of connections and what looks like a vacuum line disconnected.

Could someone please tell me what each of these connections do and where to secure them?

I believe the one is for the oil pressure sending unit and the other may be for the temp (I dont have the dash with the tach but I am putting one in next week)

As for the vacuum line by the A/C lines I have no idea and same for the first image.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

3rd one is your oil pressure sending unit, i'm guessing your gauge doesn't work? that would explain it

last one is most likely going to your heater control valve. if you have no deleted it (the control valve) then you should. then just cap the end to stop the leak. i used a screw and some thread sealant, but mine was left uncaped for a year and i never noticed a thing

not sure about the 2 first

Last edited by Cane; 01-11-2017 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome thank you. However, where is that. First time Ive heard of that
Old 01-11-2017, 06:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

The vacuum line is most definitely the control line for the heater control valve. The jeeps have a control valve on the heater core hoses. It is vacuum operated to shut coolant flow off to the heater core when the heat is not on. The idea being the heater would out pace the ac. The valves are prone to failure at the most inopportune time though. The juice is not worth the squeeze.

It appears your HCV has been deleted. If it is present it will be in the heater hose w/in reach of that vacuum line. If it is gone, count yourself lucky and plug the line. IF it is present, delete it NOW and plug the line. There is a diverter door in the air box to keep the air from flowing across the heater core in ac mode.
Old 01-12-2017, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

basically the heater control valve is a weak point in the cooling system, and in all honesty doesn't do much. mine started leaking and my mechanic suggested i simply delete it. came on here and saw it was pretty common. it is used to control the coolant going to your heater core, so when you choose the warmest setting it opens the valve and allow hot coolant in the heater core. deleting it simply allows coolant to flow in the heater core non-stop.

here's a good video about it

Last edited by Cane; 01-12-2017 at 01:29 PM.