Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Interior light problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 09:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Interior light problem

I went to start my 2000 jeep Cherokee sport last night and everything worked like it should until I turned the lights on so I could see my dash and what gear I was shifting to. The only lights that we're working we're the warning lights that come on on startup and the radio. Even when I turned the **** to dim or turn the overhead light on (which wasn't working either unless I opened the door) they wouldn't work. They did flash really quickly once when I was fiddling around with the switch.

The only thing ive done recently to the dash is replace the blinker relay under the steering wheel and fixed a issue where the rear wiper wouldn't shut off.

I checked all the fuses and connections and everything checks out ok. Could the switch just be bad? I had to be a little rough with it to remove the dash paneling so maybe I broke it?
Old 01-12-2017, 09:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

If i understand correctly, everything worked until you replaced the blinker relay?
If so, thats where i'd start looking with a good flash or trouble light, maybe a connector under the dash got accidentally partially disconnected.
I assume the switch mentioned is the door switch. If the overhead light turns on when the door is open, i'd think the door switch is doing its job.

Id also check if a ground wire or connector got disconnected from the headlight switch area.
Are you sure you checked all the fuses?
Old 01-12-2017, 01:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replaced the blinker relay and everything still worked until the other night. Oddly enough while I drove it to work this morning the lights came on and then went back off after I parked the jeep at work. I'll check all my grounds and connections once I get back home.