Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

can I test an O2 sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Default can I test an O2 sensor

I need to know if there is a way to test a O2 sensor? I have a 2000 cherokee with a 4.0 and it has 4 of them and they are to expensive to just up and replace all of them.................. Its a long story why I want to!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by Dcoy
I need to know if there is a way to test a O2 sensor? I have a 2000 cherokee with a 4.0 and it has 4 of them and they are to expensive to just up and replace all of them.................. Its a long story why I want to!
Not readily, on the bench.

The only tests I can think of are to test the heater element in the thing (which is explained in the FSM,) and to piggyback the thing in normal operation and check for a valid output signal.

Your 2000 is OBD-II. This is why you have four HEGO sensors - one before each of the pre-cats, and one after.

The "upstream" sensors monitor fuel trim - these are the ones that will have the most impact on fuel economy. The "downstream" units monitor catalyst efficiency - these have effectively nothing to do with fuel metering.

Spec life of a HEGO sensor for OBD-II runs 60-80Kmiles.

Now, what symptoms are you experiencing?
Old 07-25-2012, 07:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

If you plan on keeping the vehicle, replace all of them at the same time.

From working with many OBDII vehicles, oxygen sensors have a finite lifespan of between 100k and 150k, depending on engine efficiency. Older vehicles didn't get this mileage from them, but it is very common for newer ones to. I have original sensors in my 99 with 150k. Gas mileage and performance is exactly the same as when I drove it off the lot.

I recommend NTK replacement sensors; the same as what are on your 2000. Search rockauto, amazon, etc. to find the best price.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:47 PM

Year: 2000

Originally Posted by 5-90
Not readily, on the bench.

The only tests I can think of are to test the heater element in the thing (which is explained in the FSM,) and to piggyback the thing in normal operation and check for a valid output signal.

Your 2000 is OBD-II. This is why you have four HEGO sensors - one before each of the pre-cats, and one after.

The "upstream" sensors monitor fuel trim - these are the ones that will have the most impact on fuel economy. The "downstream" units monitor catalyst efficiency - these have effectively nothing to do with fuel metering.

Spec life of a HEGO sensor for OBD-II runs 60-80Kmiles.

Now, what symptoms are you experiencing?
Well if you really want to know my problem........my 2000 XJ is giving me a p0304, cylinder 4 misfire, and sometimes one about an very small evap leak. Basicly it starts and runs alittle rough then misses and runs real bad within a mile from where I leave ( this is when I get the code flashing) from then if I shut it off and restart it will run fine. only happens when the jeep sits for a few hrs, but never when its hot. I changed the plugs ( copper core) coil rail, cam sensor, crank sensor, TPS, the ECM, swapped injectors around, did a compression and fuel pressure test, ran seafoam through it and lastly checked the index of the cam sensor ( was good). Still having problems. Im just going down the through everything and trying to check it.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

Originally Posted by Dcoy
Well if you really want to know my problem........my 2000 XJ is giving me a p0304, cylinder 4 misfire, and sometimes one about an very small evap leak. Basicly it starts and runs alittle rough then misses and runs real bad within a mile from where I leave ( this is when I get the code flashing) from then if I shut it off and restart it will run fine. only happens when the jeep sits for a few hrs, but never when its hot. I changed the plugs ( copper core) coil rail, cam sensor, crank sensor, TPS, the ECM, swapped injectors around, did a compression and fuel pressure test, ran seafoam through it and lastly checked the index of the cam sensor ( was good). Still having problems. Im just going down the through everything and trying to check it.
EVAP leak - check the vacuum lines, particularly the ones to/from the fuel tank and charcoal cannister.

Single-cylinder misfire? Coils, plug, corrosion in the plug threads (screws with the ground return,) injector problems with that cylinder, ...
Old 07-26-2012, 12:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: Several

None of those symptoms even come close to what a defective O2 sensor will cause.
Check the vacuum hose to the MAP sensor - must fit tight!

The evap small leak - fuel cap? Look closely at the hoses under the brake booster - often a smoke tester finds a small leak there.
Old 07-26-2012, 12:21 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 2.5L

Sorry to kind of hijack this thread but is it possible for damage an O2 sensor from overheating?

edit: I'm kind of in the same boat, I was looking for a way to test the sensor I just replaced prior to overheating (which solved the problem) but problem returned after and I can't find any good way of testing it. Although I only have 2 not 4.

Last edited by Phil_XJ; 07-26-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: Several

Damage from overheating? Not likely except from a fire. They are designed to easily withstand 700+ degrees - the temp of an overheated cat.

Trying to test it with an Ohmmeter will instantly destroy it.