Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Can a c-clip shaft be modified for non c-clip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Can a c-clip shaft be modified for non c-clip?

This may be a stupid question, but can a c-clip Dana 35 axle shaft be modified to run in a non c-clip Dana 35 axle?

I have wheeled and worked on various rigs for years, but bought my first cherokee this past weekend. Its a 87 with the non c-clip dana 35. I have 3 spare c-clip Dana 35 shafts in the garage that I have picked up here and there. A friend told me they could be modified to run in the non c-clip axles. Anybody know if this is true? I haven't pulled my shafts out yet to see what the differences are. I did a search but didn't find much info on this.
Old 07-30-2010, 12:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: AMC242

I don't know enough to swear to it, but lemme throw out a few things you'll want to check:

- I believe the splines are the same between them. You probably won't have to cut the "button" off of the end of the shaft (to clear the crosspin,) but you may want to anyhow.
- Is the bearing journal on the C-clip the same as the non-C? That would simplify things. If not, is it larger? If so, you can have it ground/turned down (I'd rather grind it, then probably have it surface-hardened if it loses hardness.) If not, sell/trade it for non-C axles.
- Does the hub flange have the access holes in it to reach the backing plate bolt nuts? If it doesn't, sell/trade as above (easier than having the hub flange bored while it's still on the shaft.)
- Is the length the same? Measure the non-C shaft from the hub flange to the end. Measure the C-clip shaft from the hub flange to the groove before the button (the button won't bear on anything in a non-C housing. Ergo, it don't matter.)

If you try it, and it does work and you do actually run the vehicle successfully (no noise, shaft doesn't fall apart, ...) please report back so the rest of us know!
Old 07-30-2010, 09:36 AM

Thanks 5-90. If I can find time this weekend, I'll probably pull one of my rear shafts out and take some measurements. If I can make it work I'll update with some pictures.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The better question is why would you want to go through all that trouble when it will still just be a Dana 35. Take a trip to Pull A Part and get a 97-01 Chrysler 8.25 and bolt it in. It is still a c-clip axle but is much stronger than the D35.
Old 07-30-2010, 01:35 PM

I'm planning on putting a 44 and ford 9" in it, but still want to wheel it until I can save up and get all the parts together and swapped in. And since it has 36" cut TSL's on it right now.....I'm going to be needing some extra shafts until then. If I can make the ones in the garage work, maybe I won't have to go buy any more.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well that makes good sense then. Shoot a pm to Bigomudders, he has a non c-clip D35 from a now defunct project that is just laying in the driveway. It is scheduled to hauled to the scrap yard soon and I am sure he would rather see it go to a better cause.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:57 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I went to pull a part today and found a Ford 8.8 with 3.73 gears and disc brakes in an explorer. I decided to bring it home with me and go that route instead. Got several spare shafts for the 30 too. I'll probably end up putting a 44 up there eventually, but one axle swap is enough for now.