Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Can anyone name this part?? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2011, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline Six Cylinder
Default Can anyone name this part?? Please help

well i have been having some low and loping idle problems, but i think i have found the problem that is causing the low idling. There is a small intake port on the intake manifold, it is located about 6 inches away from the throttle body (going towards the back of the vehicle not the front) so there is a hose that connects to this port and runs along the back an down the left side of the engine bay, this hose connects into a plastic sphere type part. the sphere is located right below the passenger side head light.. there is only one inlet on the sphere. so heres the question what is that sphere called? i believe it has something to do with emissions. but when i disconnect that hose my idle goes up to about 700ish(were it needs to be, it runs good if the hose is disconnected) we check the hose for clogs there were none, we disconnected it from the sphere and the intake manifold an blew through it there were no restrictions. so that leads me to believe that whatever is inside the sphere is clogged. so if anyone call give me some advice about how to go about this it would be much appreciated thanks..
if you need any more info just ask
Old 05-14-2011, 12:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 92
Engine: 4.0

That is probably your smog control system Not sure about cleaning it but has something to do with emissions. Might could google it

Last edited by highwater; 05-14-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

That is the vacuum reservoir, you need it if you want the vacuum operated things to work, like Air Conditioning and heat and the fuel system and emmissions. Your problem is somewhere else.
Old 05-14-2011, 12:15 PM

so can the resivoir get clogged? because when that hose isnt connected it runs great, i have tried heating an air but fuel system works fine i have great throttle response and a much better idle when its not connected,
Old 05-14-2011, 12:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 92

Originally Posted by 93gc40
That is the vacuum reservoir, you need it if you want the vacuum operated things to work, like Air Conditioning and heat and the fuel system and emmissions. Your problem is somewhere else.
Yeah forgot all bout that's
Old 05-14-2011, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

Originally Posted by RockyMountainXJ
so can the resivoir get clogged? because when that hose isnt connected it runs great, i have tried heating an air but fuel system works fine i have great throttle response and a much better idle when its not connected,
By removing the hose from the Egg, you are causing a Vacuum leak. Vacuum leaks often cause a raised idle. The only place the Egg can get plugged up is the inlet, if that is plugged the system can't generate enough vacuum, it is an expansion chamber. If you are having an Idle issue I would start by looking at the IDLE circuit, emissions sensors, exhaust or intake leaks, bad cat, bad O2 sensors, Fuel pressure, ignition, ect.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:21 PM

Alright thanks for the help, i'll start goin through other trouble shooting processes an try an find the problem.