Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cam Shaft Sensor is blown up

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2016, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Cam Shaft Sensor is blown up

Help Needed... I have a 2000 jeep Cherokee with a 4.0 and I'm having an issue with my Cam Shaft Sensor. I replaced the old one because my check engine light came on and got the infamous P0340 code and wouldn't start. I replaced the cam shaft synchronizer and it lasted three days before it failed. The cam shaft I used for replacing was Dorman #689-200 Camshaft Synchronizer. I should buy OEM but heard of others having luck with this Dorman # so went that route. After removing the cap on the sensor it looked like the last one I replaced. It's mutilated inside the cap / looks like it blew up. I did some work on it giving it a facelift so it was in the garage for about 6 months. I did replace the oil pump and the rear main seal. Everything looked good and went in good. That was done while doing the remodel work. I've drove it for a month in a half and now with no problems no check engine light nothing been a good jeep but for the last week I'm having camshaft sensor issues. I thought originally that these just go and it's time to replace but when I removed the sensor and saw how bad it was and needed to replace the whole unit I thought it was a little strange but still didn't think much of it other than it really gave out or blew up but it's old and looks to be the original. So I replaced it and then that one went and looked similar to the original one I replaced. It looks like it's binding and causing it to move enough to bust it up internally. just not sure what is causing the binding...? Jeep has and is getting great oil pressure. The Dorman # lasted 3 days. After removing the 2nd camshaft sensor I gently placed a flat head down in where the oil pump shaft is that the camshaft sensor shaft would slide into and checked to see if it spins freely and smoothly and it did. So the other gear has to be the one that's binding and there's evidence on both sensors gear shafts that show signs / markings of wear or perhaps binding. Any help or advice is greatly appreciated...

Last edited by Steelfan247; 10-21-2016 at 12:22 AM.