Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Cam Sensor...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2014, 04:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cam Sensor...

I just wanted to make this post to possibly help others while diagnosing no start, random dying conditions. So here it goes....

(95 XJ, 4.0, Auto, 4.5" Rubicon lift, 33x12.50's, 230k miles)

About 6 months ago my Cherokee died at the ranch and would not restart. I thought for sure it was the cps, changed it, didn't work. Wasn't getting spark so I changed the coil next, still no start. I did some googling and gave it one more shot with a new cam sensor and BAM it started.

3 months later it starts dying at random when coming to a stop. No bucking, no hesitation, just dies, only at idle or when coming to a stop. I did more research and found out that I needed to replace the sensors only from the dealership due to aftermarket being junk. I thought, since the cps was from Advance Auto parts, i would start there. Picked up a new cps from the dealer, no luck. Most of the time it would start right back up after it died so it was hard to test for a no spark condition.

I bought the cam sensor from O'reilly's with a lifetime warranty. One frustrating Friday night after a few long hours, I decided I was going to take cam sensor back for a new one(since its free) and just try it. That worked. I haven't replaced the cam sensor with one from the dealer yet but that will be on list here in the next week or so.

My apologies for this being long winded but I wanted to put this out there in case someone has the same issue.

Moral of the story for me is buy dealer parts... especially sensors