Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Caliper pistons blocking

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Caliper pistons blocking

Hello there!

I have a XJ 4.0 93 model.

I have changed the brake pads, and the Caliper pistons are suddenly getting blocked.

After changing the brake pads I noticed the Left Front Wheel was stucking and the jeep was going "braked" with the typical smell of burn pads... but rigtht was okay.

Today I have took out the piston of left front, set it back and bleeded the circuit.. and all was fine... for a while... suddenly i felt the jeep again "braked" and the smell again.. this time was the right wheel...

I have come back home, very slowly and stopping to avoid excesive warming and I think that at the end both caliper pistons were blocked..

what prevent pistons not going back to the idle position?

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Jordi
Old 10-11-2012, 02:05 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I6

They go bad, just like anything else. You can buy a caliper rebuild kit, or just buy a new one for 20$. I recommend the latter.
Old 10-11-2012, 04:23 PM

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0L

It could be your caliper guide pins gummed up also. if the caliper gets hung up on the guides it will do the same thing. i just replaced my guide pins and bolts to solve the same issue.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:20 PM

First of all.. thank you so much to both of you for the fast answer... my prior experience with this forum was not good..( I was insulted and mocked).. your answers renew the faith in the community!

It makes sense, both pistons, since are ceramic, are damaged on the edge in contact to the brake pad... so probably what happened is the piston malformed together with the pads (were more worn on lower part than top).

So what is my guess: the new pads completely even, causes the piston to go biased.

KildeaCherokee, the guide pins look fine and move easily. Anyway I will recheck.

I have ordered the two pistons with seals 18$ each...

Thanks again!

Jordi
Old 10-11-2012, 09:04 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by jjrecort
First of all.. thank you so much to both of you for the fast answer... my prior experience with this forum was not good..( I was insulted and mocked).. your answers renew the faith in the community!
Not that I had anything to do with answering your question but you're welcome. Don't let one bad experience ruin this great community for you. We aren't all bad lol.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I6

^x2 this and forums like it are great! Some people just like to get on here and mock people who know less than them, others genuinely enjoy helping people with their xj issues! Keep on Jeepin!
Old 10-11-2012, 09:13 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

just a little suggestion, when calipers start dragging excessively, either by a stuck piston,worn slides or what ever...that heat tracks right up the brake hose. It is always recommended to replace the brake hoses when ever an overheat condition has occurred.