Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A/C problems. Please help, I'm melting...

Old 07-02-2016, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L l6
Default A/C problems. Please help, I'm melting...

So here the problem, my A/C blows (Ba dum pshh). So it blows cool, but not cold. So first thing I thought was of course refilling the system. I did that and nothing happened, so I did some more research and I saw that if the A/C Compressor was cycling on and off several times in a minute, which mine was doing, that the system was still low. And so I finished off my can despite the gauge saying it was in the red. Nothing changed. Then I saw that if the electric fan wasn't working, the A/C wouldn't work like it should. Again, mine was doing that. So I replaced the electric fan and now the compressor stays on rather than shutting off and turning on like it was. I also bought a little better gauge and a new can of freon and used that up. The gauge said it was in the green zone. But it still isn't blowing ice like it should. I don't have anything to measure how cold it is, but it's just cool to the feel but not cold.
What else should I check? What can I do to make it colder. It's been in the triple digits here and I'd really like to get this fixed.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Im in the same boat. My AC is cool but not cold. I have new compressor, new drier accumilator, etc. I also fixed blend door accustor. Im wondering if my ducting is not all hooked up right, i seem to have air coming out all over instead of just main front vents. I would say like 80% of air comes out vents, rest comes out the other vents.

And i too am getting tripple digit temps.

Last edited by RubenZ; 07-02-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:32 PM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by RubenZ
Im in the same boat. My AC is cool but not cold. I have new compressor, new drier accumilator, etc. I also fixed blend door accustor. Im wondering if my ducting is not all hooked up right, i seem to have air coming out all over instead of just main front vents. I would say like 80% of air comes out vents, rest comes out the other vents.

And i too am getting tripple digit temps.
Did you vacuum the system?
Old 07-02-2016, 06:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to buy or rent a real gauge set with high and low pressure gauges. Only then will you know for sure if the system is filled correctly. Too much or too little charge can have a big effect on how cool your air is.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by SouthSeaPirate
Did you vacuum the system?
I'm not sure. I bought the jeep like it with newly installed Compressor and Drier/Accumilator. I really never like to take dealers word for things so do you think I should take it to an A/C shop to redo the system?
Old 07-02-2016, 11:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Originally Posted by brielly1
You need to buy or rent a real gauge set with high and low pressure gauges. Only then will you know for sure if the system is filled correctly. Too much or too little charge can have a big effect on how cool your air is.
A manifold gauge set is used only to verify pressures in a functioning A/C system.
The system must be evacuated, vacuumed down, checked for leaks then filled with the proper charge weight of refrigerant.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
A manifold gauge set is used only to verify pressures in a functioning A/C system.
The system must be evacuated, vacuumed down, checked for leaks then filled with the proper charge weight of refrigerant.
So would you recommend taking it to an A/C shop? They could check it there and if it is not correct, they could evacuate and refill.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:04 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by burkett.j
So would you recommend taking it to an A/C shop? They could check it there and if it is not correct, they could evacuate and refill.
Yes, if you take it to a pro and there is a problem in the near future you should have some type of warranty.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:24 PM

I fixed mine. Plugged in guages and found it was overcharged! Brought it down to spec and it started blowing nice and cold.
Old 07-03-2016, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RubenZ
Plugged in guages and found it was overcharged!
Why?
Old 07-03-2016, 11:40 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 L

X2 turbo_xj

3oz oil add in a for SURE NON-LEAKING system. (if you have new compressor/condenser/drier like I did)

(keeps compressor lubed)

shop that does A/C can do it right.

yes overcharging will reduce effectiveness.

my 2 cents worth...

cheers! :rink:

cpnwrench
Old 07-03-2016, 11:43 PM

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
Why?
Not sure. Ive only had this xj 3 weeks. The blend door actuator was not functioning properly. I think it wasnt fully closing and it allowed som heat.i have feeling PO or dealer thought it needed more freon. Ive been looking over the jeep and replacing a lot of things just to be on the safe side.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

They probably thought its blowing cool so if i add more freon it will be colder.And like said too much and not enough are bad most don't understand it.That is one thing i don't like about r134a any yahoo can buy it and use it.The r12 you need a license to buy and kept it out of the hands of a lot of yahoos.
Old 07-04-2016, 08:28 AM

Engine: I6

It cost me under $100 to have mine vacum checked and refilled including dye . Turned out it was the compressor . $400 and I am cold again .
One weird thing that I found last year was a leaking Shcrader valve . That s the needle thingy in the place where you fill the system . Had a shop do it so they could reuse the freon . Another fix by a shop for less than $100
Old 07-24-2016, 06:31 PM

Update! Sorry it has been so long, I have been busy these last few weeks and let's be honest, I'm just really bad at replying. It's one of my faults. Haha.
Anyways, I borrowed some better gauges and found out that the A/C was just overfilled so I dropped it down and now it is running much better! I will still run by a shop when I have a moment to breath and have them make sure everything is running smooth for the future.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: A/C problems. Please help, I'm melting...