Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

a/c help

Old 05-31-2010, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default a/c help

hello i have a 2000 cherokee that when i turn the ac on it blows hot air. i just recharged and still blowing hot air . when i was recharging it would read full then where the belt is i belive it is called the ac compress kicks on it starts moving the gauge on the bottle then shuts of then it and then kicks in then off over and over again what might the issue be waht can ido
Old 05-31-2010, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Is it cooling? The way to tell is to run the AC and place your hand on the larger of the two hoses where you charge up the AC. It will feel cool and will probable sweat. If it does, then your AC is cooling.

2. If it is cooling but not blowing cold air, the most likely culprit is the mixer valve where the hot water from the engine is allowed to flow through the heater coils. See, you don't always want real cold air inside the car, right? So they allow you to bleed in a little hot water to warm things up a little, and oftentimes that mixer valve will go bad and never fully shut off.
The way to check that is to warm the car up, turn the AC on, and put the cool air control all the way on cool. That should close your valve. Then place your hand on the hose leading inside to your heater core and see if it is nice and cool. If it's hot, then all you have to do is replace the valve.

Maybe someone can step in at this point and tell you where the heater control valve is in your Cherokee.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Found a picture of what you are looking for, I think:

Old 05-31-2010, 09:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by fliprider2000
when i was recharging it would read full then where the belt is i belive it is called the ac compress kicks on it starts moving the gauge on the bottle then shuts of then it and then kicks in then off over and over again what might the issue be waht can ido
To the best of my understanding, it's only going to take coolant when the compressor is running, which is why the gauge drops when the compressor kicks on. If your coolant is too low it will not run as a safety feature to keep from burning up. Mine was doing the exact same thing so when my compressor would turn on, I'd squeeze the trigger and I released when the compressor stopped. It took several minutes but pretty soon the compressor was running constantly and the coolant line was cold and dripping. That was my experience anyway, hope it helps.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000

thank for i idea 4 doors i tried that and it worked that is waht mine was doing exact thaks