Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A/C & Heating issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 07:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default A/C & Heating issues

Hey guys, new to this site. I have a question in regards to my 2000 XJ. A couple of months ago whenever I was going up a hill and had to give it some more gas, my AC would switch from coming out of the regular vents and instead come out from the defroster. After I got to the top of the hill, or when I let off the gas a little, the air would come out of the normal vents. After a few weeks of this, the air is stuck only coming out of the defroster. It doesn't matter where I have the selector, it only comes out the top. Heat & AC still functions. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Vac line issue. There is a disconnected or punctured line somewhere. Follow the lines from the engine and manifold to wherever they go. Some will go down to your bumper and others will go into firewall. If you pull off your dash panel around the radio and air control switches you will see a vac line coming off of each different air flow setting. They are all different colors and are pretty noticeable and go back behind the glove box. It's a place to start...
Old 08-16-2011, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

vacuum issue no doubt. I would start with the vacuum line that goes to the accumulator in the front bumper, passenger side just below the headlight. Line runs from the firewall (should be a vacuum tee there) around and down by the battery, through the front wall just behind the headlight. If that line is not connected or has a leak, your climate controls will not work properly at all. You can either relocate the accumulator to inside the engine compartment or replace the vacuum line and connectors. I would start there. If that's not the issue, then start tracing back from there for a break or hole. Good luck.