Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A/C compressor noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 06:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default A/C compressor noise

So, my 2001 XJ's A/C has been giving me issues for some time now. For the last couple of years, I've been having to top off the refrigerant myself with a "can", nothing major, just a little spray about once every other month. About a month ago the compressor wouldn't stay on while the vehicle was idling, I ended up changing out the low-pressure sensor and that solved the problem. Last week the compressor it's self would stay on but started making a loud noise and would visibly shake. I'm also able to hear a noise coming from behind the dash. So, I'm thinking it's time for a new compressor, but what about the noise from behind the dash? Is happening because the compressor is acting up, or is something wrong with the evaporator as well? Both noises happen at the same time. Also, I tried adding dye to the system to find the leak but was unsuccessful, guess the leak is too small to show anything.

Any suggestions on my next step would be great. I really don't want to be pulling this dash! lol.
The noise sounds like a deep loud hum.