Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A/C Compressor Clutch Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2L V8
Default A/C Compressor Clutch Replacement?

Yesterday my girl's Cherokee had some trouble, from the description she provided over the phone, I concluded that the serp. belt must have broken. When I got home from work, sure enough, that's what happened. The cause of it breaking is that the A/C Compressor Clutch has seized up. More than that, it's cocked at an angle and a piece of metal on the front is broken. I don't want to deal with replacing the whole compressor (vacuuming out everything, recharging it, stuff I'd have to pay a shop to do.) I'm wondering if anyone has replaced just the clutch before, and if it's a simple enough job. I've got the FSM, which has the instructions, and it mentions a few tools that I don't really have. Do you guys think it's worth it to try and grab a clutch off a junked Jeep and try to put it on, or should I get the whole compressor replaced and go that route. I can't take it down to the shop as it is, to have them vac the system out, either. Any guidance would be much appreciated!

Ian
Old 02-19-2010, 12:20 PM

Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

You have a couple of options. You could go to the local pick 'n pull and get a clutch and install it. (For a nominal, deposit that is returned, you can grab the tools from an Auto Zone or Advance Auto) Or you could spec a belt for a non A/C equipped motor and install the belt around the compressor clutch.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:31 PM

Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport with the 4.0 engine & factory a/c (!20,000 miles). I'm having a problem with the a/c (need it here in South Florida). When I turn on the a/c its ice cold for about 15-20 minutes. Just enough time to get to work. If I need it longer the compressor clutch dis-engages. After about 10 minutes of driving with the a/c now off, it re-engages. I was told to remove clutch assembly and take out 1 shim and that should take care of the problem. There was a site and I seem to have misplaced it. Any suggestions?