Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

A/C Compresor not engaging, clicking sound started....

Old 12-05-2018, 07:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default A/C Compresor not engaging, clicking sound started....

Hey folks,

I am guessing this has come up before, but since I don't know the name of the part or what it does, hard to search for it. I did try AC , evaporator, etc, no luck!

So I was prepping my XJ for a trip upstate (2001 sport), and after doing fluids, puling the fuse fr ABS adding (finally) the new headlight wiring harness, I wanted to top off my AC so the defrost would work properly ( leaks but haven't ripped apart the dash to fix yet). The second I turned on the AC, the compressor engaged, then stopped, then this thing near the fire wall that apparently has something to do with the evaporaor is making a ticking sound.

At this point, the AC is not working, not a big deal - I can deal with it as heat is working fine as is blower. Just wondering what his part is/does, should I leave it connected or should I pull the elec. lead so it isn't energized, or anything else you might want to suggest.

This is a 3.5 to 4.5 hour drive, depending on traffic, just want to make sure I am not going to screw anything up.

Oh, driving from Long Island NY to upstate northwest of Albany NY.

Thanks for any advice/input you may have!

Al T.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

That is the Evap Purge Solenoid, and it is responsible for keeping your fuel system in a slight vacuum to keep it from evaporating fumes into the atmosphere. It is normal for it to click. People tend to notice it for the first time when they are dealing with another problem and their spider-senses are on full alert (paying attention to everything). Soon, you will begin ignoring it again, until the next unrelated problem comes up. lol.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jordan96xj
That is the Evap Purge Solenoid, and it is responsible for keeping your fuel system in a slight vacuum to keep it from evaporating fumes into the atmosphere. It is normal for it to click. People tend to notice it for the first time when they are dealing with another problem and their spider-senses are on full alert (paying attention to everything). Soon, you will begin ignoring it again, until the next unrelated problem comes up. lol.
Lol, OK, thanks. Seemed awfully loud for me t never have noticed it before!