Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bushing Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 06:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Inline 6
Default Bushing Recommendations

So I need to get some new bushings and I wanted to get some recommendations. I know polyurethane is the way to go, but is there a specific brand I should be looking for? Any to avoid?
A simple google search brings back tons of different companies.

Also it was recommended to change out the lower control arm bushings. Any recommendations for those? Also how do you tell if they are worn out? Is there a noise I should be listening for, or a way to tell visually? I looked at them but they look fine to me, then again I don't really know what I'm looking at.

Finally, is this normal or should I be looking into fixing this as well? That is the drag link end. I have a 4.5" RC lift installed. I had asked about a drop pitman arm but was told I don't need one in another thread. This makes me rethink that.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1984
Engine: 4 cyl

For the bushings, there are many brands out there and most are on a pretty level playing field. Poly does last longer than rubber, but you do need to grease it when you install and periodically add grease to keep it from squeaking. Rubber gives a softer ride and is quieter, but doesn't last as long as poly. For stock vehicles, I prefer rubber for the ride characteristics, and poly for performance builds.

For the pitman, that angle doesn't appear too extreme, but I'd like to see a picture from the front showing the pitman to the passenger knuckle.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:06 PM

Thanks for the input. I will make sure to look for the greasable bushings if I go the poly route.
Here is the best I could get of the pitman arm drag link set up. It handles fine, that bushing just looked a little stressed.

This forum has been a real help so far.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:17 AM

Year: 1984
Engine: 4 cyl

it doesn't look very bad at all. The lower bushing is at more of an angle than stock, but if in good condition will handle it just fine.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:36 PM

Thanks for the help. I will keep an eye on the bushing and check for wear, but I won't worry about the angle that it's at.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:56 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

If it were me I'd be looking into a drop pitman arm. That bushing does look stressed, and although I believe it will handle it fine for a while, that angle will lead to premature failure of the bushing. Long term a drop arm would be your best bet.