Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

burping your cooling system

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 09:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default burping your cooling system

I've searched and read multiple threads on burping your cooling system. I'm having an over heating issue that, of course, only happens when it's hot, I'm running the AC, and I'm in any sort of stop and go traffic. My plan is to flush and refil the radiator-cooling system, but want to know if I really have to remove the temp sensor plug to do so. My idea is to park the jeep, front tires up on my drive way ramp, basically the angle of tire amps, and get all the air out by way of the radiator cap.
What I'm nervus of is that if I remove the temp sending unit plug from the rear of the engine, it might bust or strip, like everything else on my girl has. Any ideas if it'll work? Or is it absolutey necessary to pull the plug to get the air out? If I have to remove the plug... do you reinsert it when it's running? Wouldn't rad fluid be running out all over the
place?
Any opinions on my parking it nose-up and trying it that way?
Thanks in advance for any help offered!
Old 08-06-2011, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can jack up the front and refill it slowly
Old 08-06-2011, 09:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wgat year is your XJ?

I didnt think you had to burp an XJ that had a radiator cap. I thought you could just top it of though the fill hole to get the air out.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:36 PM

Year: 1996

i dont wanna "bump" your post but i too would like to know the best way this is what i found, link below, which is what you mentioned you didnt want to do.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...BurpAirMod.htm
Old 08-06-2011, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

When I did mine, we flushed it w/ water and filled it w/ coolant. No burping was done. But... it does overheat when I wheel hard for a while... Other than that it runs at 190 steady and 200 if it's over like 85 degrees...
Old 08-06-2011, 09:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

I believe '97 up don't have a sending unit in the back of the head.

Fill the rad and leave the rad cap off. Start it and let it idle, rad cap off. Keep the rad full while idling. When coolant starts to flow/burp out the rad, install the new rad cap. Check coolant level (ENGINE COLD) next several days, add coolant if necessary.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 99

Originally Posted by djb383

Fill the rad and leave the rad cap off. Start it and let it idle, rad cap off. Keep the rad full while idling. When coolant starts to flow/burp out the rad, install the new rad cap. Check coolant level (ENGINE COLD) next several days, add coolant if necessary.
There you go. That's the one.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by djb383

alright so, as soon as fluid starts to flow out throw the cap back on and its fine..i dont have to wait and watch till bubbles stop? , assuming there are bubbles...sounds easy enough
Old 08-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

the coolant level will go down in the rad as the air cycles thru, as it goes down just fill it, if it doesnt need to be filled any more, put the new cap on, and as stated watch it for a few days
Old 08-07-2011, 06:12 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: I6

Are your fans working?
Old 08-07-2011, 10:26 AM

Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

Easiest, best way to burp it correctly is to get a "Spill-Free" funnel. Put the funnel in the radiator cap like it says to, fill the reserve reservoir to the "full" level add just a cup or so of coolant/water mix to the funnel and turn on the Jeep (having some in the funnel lets you see the system burping and doesnt allow air to get pulled in when it does burp. Put the heat on high and fire her up so it starts cycling coolant throughout the entire system. Youll see air bubbles coming out in the funnel and sometimes, if you have a big air pocket, itll push up the fluid in the funnel and "burp" a big one. Every time it does this add more fluid. DONT fill the funnel because if you have a big air pocket it will cause it to overflow and spill everywhere. Keep the Jeep running for 15-20 minutes or so (Longer if youve opened the system and replaced something like a hose or heater core) and just keep adding fluid as necessary.

If you DONT get all the air out of your system you can overheat VERY easily AND an air pocket will burn a hole through a head gasket faster than anything. Not filling, burping and maintaining your cooling system is the best way to cause major problems. With a "Spill-Free" funnel youll be able to do it so easily that youll flush and fill your system every year when youre doing an oil change. I like to do my oil and coolant in the spring, right before Im driving her a lot, all over the place, in hot weather.