Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Burning AC/Heater

Old 03-08-2017, 07:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Burning AC/Heater

So after looking into why the blower motor causes the plastic burning smell I decided to do something about it in my 96 XJ. There are many articles on many forums trying to tackle this problem. To be honest, the solution is to replace worn out components and not add on other stuff.

I tried using relays and all but in the end the solution was simple. I bought a new blower resistor, blower motor and fan speed switch (from rockauto). I then destroyed the connector to the switch and cleaned the terminals up with a dremel wire brush. On one wire, I had to replace the terminal since it was burned up.

No longer do I have burning plastic and the wires are cool to the touch. I gave it a few weeks before posting the results.

I guess we have to just keep it simple.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:17 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,522 Likes on 1,234 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by vulcan1701
So after looking into why the blower motor causes the plastic burning smell I decided to do something about it in my 96 XJ. There are many articles on many forums trying to tackle this problem. To be honest, the solution is to replace worn out components and not add on other stuff.

I tried using relays and all but in the end the solution was simple. I bought a new blower resistor, blower motor and fan speed switch (from rockauto). I then destroyed the connector to the switch and cleaned the terminals up with a dremel wire brush. On one wire, I had to replace the terminal since it was burned up.

No longer do I have burning plastic and the wires are cool to the touch. I gave it a few weeks before posting the results.

I guess we have to just keep it simple.
Yup. Here's what happens when you ignore a funky blower motor. Takes out the resistor, sometimes the blower switch and burns the ignition switch at the brown wire.
Attached Thumbnails Burning AC/Heater-blower-motor-collateral-damage.jpg