Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bumpy ride

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2016, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 6 cy. Inline, 4.0L
Default Bumpy ride

Hey all,

I've got a 99 XJ stock with an interesting problem. I just had it in for inspection and they said they had to replace the sway bar and bushings. It's got 170k on it so not surprised some work would be needed. Wanted to do it myself but didn't have the time before the inspection sticker was out of date, and for those of us living in NYC, you can't hide a sticker in your driveway. Well I guess you could if you could afford a place with one

Anyway before the work when i hit a bump it would sway back and forth a lot more than I liked. Now it is much reduced but if I'm in a right turn and hit a bump it still does it a lot. Any reason why hitting a bump while in a turn would have a different affect? I'm new to cars in general so apologies for newbness.

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2016, 06:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: I6 4.0L

How many miles are on your shocks? Sounds like they could be worn out.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:15 PM

I just got it recently, i'm pretty sure they are the original set.
Old 06-06-2016, 06:25 PM
Seasoned Member

170k on a stock set of dampers means they are waaaay beyond worn out. Put a new set of shocks on that puppy! And, while you're at it, inspect all the suspension components and replace as necessary. I'm going to assume most of your suspension is tired and very worn out. Check all joints for play, check rubber components, check your control arms and track bar. Springs might be worn out as well. Check steering link and tie rod ends while you are at it.

If you find your suspension components to be worn out, a refresh will make it much safer to drive.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:11 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Chances are your steering stabilizer is worn out (the shock mounted to the steering linkage). And chances are very good at that mileage that the track bar is worn as well. it has a bushing on one end, and a "ball in joint" socket on the other end. But shocks are likely due and make sure you have the tire pressures adjusted properly. After you get all the front end stuff taken care of it would be beneficial to make sure a proper alignment is done.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:26 AM
Seasoned Member

Steering stabilizer has zero affect on body roll and pitch, but should be checked just as well.

If you are getting bump steer that is a good indicator of worn out steering stabilizer.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996

The sway bar won't compensate for worn out shocks and springs. New shocks will help dampen the sway oscillation (swaying back and forth), and new springs will help reduce the onset of the sway all together. New leaf springs and a good set of shocks will have you feeling like a new ride.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0

Sounds like he will have to replace the SB bushings as that was the reason listed on his rejection sheet for the inspection like most states.

But I agree they are not the cause for all the problems he has for sure. Add to that list of possible cause's tie rods and ball joints.

The OP need to take it to a shop and have then look it over and see what all the problems really are, cost would outweigh just throwing parts at it. The OP stated that he needed help on it and that is the only way I know of that tells the true story.
Old 06-07-2016, 12:31 PM

Cool, did a little research on the forums and elsewhere. Replacing the shocks should be within my limited mechanical ability. Anyone have any brands or sources they recommend?
Old 06-07-2016, 07:27 PM
Seasoned Member

As myself, and others, have stated, I highly recommend you do a full inspection and check of ALL your suspension and steering gear. Replace as needed, and don't forget that springs could be worn out too.

I like Bilstein shocks; the 4600s I have on my XJ right now ride oh so fine.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:22 AM

Bilsteins are good but run at the high end of the market, if you have the coin its a safe investment. I'm running Pro Comp ES9000s (40/45 a shock) and I am very pleased. decent shocks that will provide adequate ride quality for 3 or 4 years will run the area of 40-30 bucks a shock. Any less than that expect to replace them every two years or so for a decent ride, this is a decent option if you know you will be lifting it 3 or more inches. Bilsteins or anything in that price range (70 or 80 a shock) should last for a least 5 years.

But again these Jeeps are notorious for sloppy suspension and shaking and Death wobble. It takes a lot of work to keep them tight. More often than not it requires a complete overhaul of the suspension and steering system. From the steering gear, tie rods, drag link, steering stabilizer, track bar, ball joints, wheel bearings, U joints, control arms, shocks, springs. Tires that haven't been rotated or more importantly BALANCED in the last year. And the problem is as one component wears it forces all the other components to wear that much faster.
Old 06-20-2016, 09:02 AM

Hey guys just wanted to update and clarify. When I had the inspection done (a proper inspection at the place with the paper on the wall saying it's a proper place to get this done), they replaced most of the components you all listed above and it did help, but was still a little rough on the bigger pumps at speed.

Shocks were taken out on Saturday and replaced with new ones and it's like a new car! Thanks all for the help, this is a great place to come for help. Probably the #1 reason I picked this model is this community.