Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bumper choices

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 09:56 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Bumper choices

My Cherokee's front bumper is a little rusty and I'm planning on replacing it. It's mostly a daily driver, but I might occasionally take it on a trail and would like better tie-down points for the canoe, so tow hooks would be nice.

My options (all new cost, but could go to a junkyard):
Replace stock bumper ($100) and add a tow hook package ($70?)
Replace stock bumper and add Curt front receiver ($120 ish)
Go with a front bumper with tow points, like the Nates4x4 ($233)

It seems like the Nates bumper has it all, but I'm mildly concerned about how it ties into the frame compared to a tow hook package or the reciever.

Thoughts?
Old 01-13-2012, 10:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 96'
Engine: 4.0 160k banks header dumping after the cat

Originally Posted by vespa50sp
My Cherokee's front bumper is a little rusty and I'm planning on replacing it. It's mostly a daily driver, but I might occasionally take it on a trail and would like better tie-down points for the canoe, so tow hooks would be nice.

My options (all new cost, but could go to a junkyard):
Replace stock bumper ($100) and add a tow hook package ($70?)
Replace stock bumper and add Curt front receiver ($120 ish)
Go with a front bumper with tow points, like the Nates4x4 ($233)

It seems like the Nates bumper has it all, but I'm mildly concerned about how it ties into the frame compared to a tow hook package or the reciever.

Thoughts?

personally i'd go with a new (junkyard) stock bumper with the tow hooks but ultimately i think it depends on how much you want to spend. I believe the tow hook brackets just bolt to the 3 bumper bolts unless you want to incorporate some kind of unibody tie in plate with it like from JCR which is easily done and will cost you another $30 or $40
Old 01-13-2012, 11:18 AM

You can easily sand down your front bumper and bedline it with a spray on bedliner (Rusteoleum makes a good one) and it will look better than new. This only works if its not chrome however, chrome will cause you a little more of a headache to do this method.

I would try to repaint the bumber and then grab a set of tow hooks from a junkyard and use those with your current bumber. Or just buy the tow hooks seperately with the link you have.

The aftermarket bumper would work as well but that a pretty good chunk of change to spend on something so simple that you don't entirely need.

Just throwing out some options for you. Good luck.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by campxj
You can easily sand down your front bumper and bedline it with a spray on bedliner (Rusteoleum makes a good one) and it will look better than new. This only works if its not chrome however, chrome will cause you a little more of a headache to do this method.

I would try to repaint the bumber and then grab a set of tow hooks from a junkyard and use those with your current bumber. Or just buy the tow hooks seperately with the link you have.

The aftermarket bumper would work as well but that a pretty good chunk of change to spend on something so simple that you don't entirely need.

Just throwing out some options for you. Good luck.
It would be cheapest to repaint with bedliner. I was thinking about replacing it because more than rust is flaking off, but maybe it would be fine. Are all cherokee front bumpers the same? I have an 01 There's less competition at the jy in MN in January.

I'm guessing I'd have to remove the bumper to install the tow hooks? I could assess how damaged it was then.

Last edited by vespa50sp; 01-13-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 01:14 PM

You need a 97+ bumper for your jeep. And that's not a bad way to go about doing it. Look inside the bumper and see how bad the rust really is.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Sounds like a plan.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: Renix 4.0

If you're in the Bemidji area check out Aazzees, I can't remember how many XJs they have but more than the one that Mike's has. Try http://car-part.com/
Old 01-14-2012, 09:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by austinjoe13
If you're in the Bemidji area check out Aazzees, I can't remember how many XJs they have but more than the one that Mike's has. Try http://car-part.com/
I'm in St. Paul and have been going to U pull our parts. It's about the same drive to either of their two lots, but Rosemount has more cherokees.

I was a little surprised that they won't sell leafs or coils when I was looking for bastard pack stuff. Didn't see any tow hooks, but I'm off on Monday so might go back down and look around. Too cold to be doing any big work right now and I was going to replace my brake pads and shoes an replace the brake fluid this weekend anyhow.

Thanks for talking me out of immediately spending money, my wife appreciates it : ) Jeeps are easy to obsess about and the built ones seem neater.
Old 01-14-2012, 09:38 AM
Seasoned Member

My buddies saw the above photo on facebook and commented that I apparently have found new ways to get hurt after my motorcycle accident and bout with a variation of limes disease. Got more hardware in my right leg than a jeep suspension - but they can rebuild you medically also as long as you wore safety gear : )