Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Bulletproofing the AW4

Old 12-22-2010, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Question Bulletproofing the AW4

This is just a feeler thread...preparations for whats to come in 2011

Ok, so I plan on upgrading the axles, transfer case, and lastly engine in 2011 (providing I get this new job in Feb...)

Now I know there is an abundance of axle options available, a HD transfer case that's on my list already, and I got my eye on a stroker too. I plan on building up the drivetrain 1st, and engine last, since there is no issues with it as it stands now.

My question is...Do you think the ATX will stand up to 300+hp and 340+ lbs of torque, or will it puke like me on a tilt-a-whirl? Is it possible to beef up the trans somehow if it will not hold up? Really hate to have to swap it out...

I don't really see anyone having issues with their autos here on the forum, but seems like nearly is putting down nearly stock HP/torque too.

Sorry if this is a noob question, but searched and found nothing.

Thanks in advance,

J
Old 12-22-2010, 09:47 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt

What engine to you plan on putting in that has 300+ hp?? Do you know if it will mate with the aw4 Trans( Not sure which trans you have)
Old 12-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

I personally wouldn't think so. Some people will have different opinions and tell you it is the greatest transmission ever built, but if it were mine I would put a GM trans in it. The AW4 might hold up I don't think many people have that kind of power to it, as far as aftermarket parts go I don't think you will find many for an AW4.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:03 AM
CF Veteran

I think with that amount of power it might be asking too much of the aw4, but I've also never built a 300hp stroker and put it on a aw4, or even built a stroker for that matter so its tough for me to say.

I'd say better safe than sorry is to buy an aftermarket tranny that will match up.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

Wow if your going to put enough money into the 4.0 to stroke it and put out 300hp and 340+ ft lbs then i doubt you will be in a pinch if/when the trans goes.

Just put a cooler on it and run it, why fix what isnt broken?
Old 12-22-2010, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by ezab
I personally wouldn't think so. Some people will have different opinions and tell you it is the greatest transmission ever built, but if it were mine I would put a GM trans in it. The AW4 might hold up I don't think many people have that kind of power to it, as far as aftermarket parts go I don't think you will find many for an AW4.
There is actually 2 versions of the aw4.. For us jeepers we have the low gearing aw4 and the other is the toyota(Supra) A340(e)(f).. Both made by Aisin-Warner. Most parts are interchangeable... the big difference between the 2 are the valve bodies.

I plan to go this route for better gearing possible 5 speed auto and they are known to withstand a good amount of power..

Last edited by 98jeepsrt6; 12-22-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 98jeepsrt6
There is actually 2 versions of the aw4.. For us jeepers we have the low gearing aw4 and the other is the toyota(Supra) A340(e)(f).. Both made by Aisin-Warner. Most parts are interchangeable... the big difference between the 2 are the valve bodies.

I plan to go this route for better gearing possible 5 speed auto and they are known to withstand a good amount of power..
I didn't know they put a 5 speed auto in a Supra. Either way, if you want to spend a lot of money on a transmission that may hold up and still has a small aftermarket listen to this guy.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by ezab
I didn't know they put a 5 speed auto in a Supra. Either way, if you want to spend a lot of money on a transmission that may hold up and still has a small aftermarket listen to this guy.
Well i just verified that the A340E is from the supra and is a 4 speed w/ OD.. Not 5 speed overdrive.. SO sorry for the miss info.. But yes the valve bodies are definitely different.

Ima do some research on this and post back in a few
Old 12-22-2010, 10:52 AM
Seasoned Member

Well i just verified that the A340E is from the supra and is a 4 speed w/ OD.. Not 5 speed overdrive.. SO sorry for the miss info.. But yes the valve bodies are definitely different.

Ima do some research on this and post back in a few
A valve body would change the way it shifts, but just because it shifts different doesn't make it stronger.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:11 AM

Well i never siad i know it all, i was adding info for the OP to look at. I need to do research before i attempt to go this route myself.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:30 PM
Banned

Hit up this link. http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/aw4.htm
Give them a call and see what they have to say.
I've actually been wondering the same thing. I've come to dead ends for the most part.
I too would like to go with a 4.7L stroker kit and STak 4x4 transfer case. But then there's the tranny. I'm not sure how well the AW4 will hold up. But I'm pretty sure if your not drag racing your XJ. You'll fine. Maybe upgrade the tranny cooler and stay up on the maintainance. You should be fine.
Heck if all else fails. A new tranny is 1200 bux and rebuild kits are less then that.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 99CherokeeGuy
This is just a feeler thread...preparations for whats to come in 2011

Ok, so I plan on upgrading the axles, transfer case, and lastly engine in 2011 (providing I get this new job in Feb...)

Now I know there is an abundance of axle options available, a HD transfer case that's on my list already, and I got my eye on a stroker too. I plan on building up the drivetrain 1st, and engine last, since there is no issues with it as it stands now.

My question is...Do you think the ATX will stand up to 300+hp and 340+ lbs of torque, or will it puke like me on a tilt-a-whirl? Is it possible to beef up the trans somehow if it will not hold up? Really hate to have to swap it out...

I don't really see anyone having issues with their autos here on the forum, but seems like nearly is putting down nearly stock HP/torque too.

Sorry if this is a noob question, but searched and found nothing.

Thanks in advance,

J
How much money is it going to cost you to get 300+hp?
Old 12-22-2010, 02:48 PM

Year: 1989

I have personal experience with A340E supra trannys.. they can handle quite a bit, but it involves a few grand to handle the additional power output. A few supra owners went with the newer lexus auto trans, I forget why. but as said, the aw4 and a340 series trans have alot of interchangable parts. beefier clutch packs and such..
Old 12-22-2010, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by RevZeroX
I have personal experience with A340E supra trannys.. they can handle quite a bit, but it involves a few grand to handle the additional power output. A few supra owners went with the newer lexus auto trans, I forget why. but as said, the aw4 and a340 series trans have alot of interchangable parts. beefier clutch packs and such..
Heres a wiki of all the A series trannies toyo used.. maybe the lexus one you stated in there i think A6 (5 speed)...Thats what i would like to know is if any of the 5 speed tran will mate with our I6 and or i have to change the bell housing in order to mate.. IDK
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_..._.2830-40LE.29

Last edited by 98jeepsrt6; 12-22-2010 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 05:46 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 I6

What engine to you plan on putting in that has 300+ hp?? Do you know if it will mate with the aw4 Trans( Not sure which trans you have)

http://www.titanengines.com/index.ph...ducts_id=26360

Hoping this would mate up properly. Obviously, the supporting fuel mods would have to be done as well (HP Fuel pump and FP Regulator)

"How much money is it going to cost you to get 300+hp? "
Starting at: $3,495.00

Actually has a 3 yr/36000 mile warranty too

Like I said I'm going to have to do some research still. Ultimately I'd like a ford 9" in the back w/Detroit, Dana 44 in the front, 3"+ lift and rollin on some 31s or 33s. I would prob keep the same ratios too, because I want it to still be "road worthy" and have a top speed of more than 60 mph at 4K RPM (so no 4:11/4:56/5:xx gears for me)

Thanks RevZeroX, I will definitely look into that.

Again, Just getting some ideas folks...dreamin for now really.

Thanks for the input everybody and any further ideas, keep em coming

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bulletproofing the AW4