Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Building sliders...is it worth the effort over buying?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Building sliders...is it worth the effort over buying?

I have been lookin at everyones pics of sliders (and websites like JRC and AJ) and I was wondering...is it worth the time and effort building them or just go ahead and buy them?

They don't look very difficult to fab up...but then...that is for just the plain lookin ones. The fancy ones with the sweet round tubing on the sides (for stepping on) looks a bit more difficult.

How do you think I would spend in buying steel to make them? Ball park idea?

Just curious of your thoughts.....

Last edited by bsljacques; 03-05-2009 at 12:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-05-2009, 01:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by bsljacques
I have been lookin at everyones pics of sliders (and websites like JRC and AJ) and I was wondering...is it worth the time and effort building them or just go ahead and buy them?

They don't look very difficult to fab up...but then...that is for just the plain lookin ones. The fancy ones with the sweet round tubing on the sides (for stepping on) looks a bit more difficult.

How do you think I would spend in buying steel to make them? Ball park idea?

Just curious of your thoughts.....
I don't think most do the fab work just to save money
depending on what equipment you have it may cost more
fab it up your self is something you do for fun and self accomplishment
Old 03-05-2009, 01:43 PM
Seasoned Member

Well......I guess I should just do it myself...mig welder and cutoff saw are needing a workout anyway...and I think the cost of steel is getting reasonable but I will have to check. Just need to crawl under and take some measurements. Just not sure I can make the neat looking round tube parts myself.....but I will see if anyone local can make some bends for me.

I am thinking of modeling them after JCR offroads superslider.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by bsljacques
Well......I guess I should just do it myself...mig welder and cutoff saw are needing a workout anyway...and I think the cost of steel is getting reasonable but I will have to check. Just need to crawl under and take some measurements. Just not sure I can make the neat looking round tube parts myself.....but I will see if anyone local can make some bends for me.

I am thinking of modeling them after JCR offroads superslider.
then you can say I built that
not I bolted it on
Old 03-05-2009, 01:55 PM
Do you hear banjos?

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm going to be building mine. I'd much rather build the stuff, then pay, A LOT, for someone else to do what I could do, possibly better!! I say build them, especially if you have the equipment!!
Old 03-05-2009, 01:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989

i am going to be building my own soon, i think if you have a welder and a little know how.. build it yourself but if you want the fancy bent tubing, i have been playing around with a propane torch and bending metal around homemade dyes such as a rim, paint can packed with dirt clamped to a table, etc.. i have been able to make some pretty good bends and am going to try to make a set of sliders like this.

I say build them your self, even if you keep them square and simple they will look good
Old 03-05-2009, 02:02 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Engine: 4.0 I6

If I knew how to weld and had the tools I'd build my on in a heartbeat.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:02 PM
Seasoned Member

Yeah....I think you all are right....I have the tools and the know how...and even some time! I will hit the local steel supply place in my town and see if he has some 2x3 3/16 box tube and 1/4 plate steel...I think I have the rest of what I need other than the round tubing.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997

Steel isn't cheap. I'll tell you that. I bought my sliders from AJ but I'm building my tube fenders and some other stuff. Price it out first and see what the cost difference is. It would be more cost effective to spend $240 and get a set of AJ's if you don't have a welder, tube bender, notcher, plasma cutter and grinder.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by MichaelMaxim
Steel isn't cheap. I'll tell you that. I bought my sliders from AJ but I'm building my tube fenders and some other stuff. Price it out first and see what the cost difference is. It would be more cost effective to spend $240 and get a set of AJ's if you don't have a welder, tube bender, notcher, plasma cutter and grinder.
Yeah...I am going to price it out...and see...and then figure the shipping on AJ's or JRC's sliders and see which way to go...If I can get all the steel I need for around $100...then I will go that route.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by MichaelMaxim

x2 I have been toying with the idea of building my own. I called the Steel supply place in town a couple of days ago and it was going to be almost $200 for everything that I wanted to build mine. Then I would have to find someone to let me borrow a bender to bend up my outer tubes. Instead I put in an order to AJ this morning, for a set of super rails!
Old 03-05-2009, 08:02 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1996

If you have the tools to build them your self it's pretty easy. One thing I learned is the the body on an XJ tapers out about an inch to an inch and a half from front to back. Your rear mounts need to be longer than the front to make the rails sit even front to back.

Heres a picture of the ones I built, I cut my rusty rockers off and built these. If I were going to buy a set JCR all the way!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Building sliders...is it worth the effort over buying?-img_0084.jpg  

Last edited by BLKXJ 96; 03-05-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:50 PM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche

make them. I have only $80 into mine. Plus like others said, i can say that i built them.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Model: Wagoneer

Originally Posted by BLKXJ 96
If you have the tools to build them your self it's pretty easy. One thing I learned is the the body on an XJ tapers out about an inch to an inch and a half from front to back. Your rear mounts need to be longer than the front to make the rails sit even front to back.

Heres a picture of the ones I built, I cut my rusty rockers off and built these. If I were going to buy a set JCR all the way!!!!
dam, those are nice, look tough as nails...
Old 03-05-2009, 09:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by 99xjlove
x2 I have been toying with the idea of building my own. I called the Steel supply place in town a couple of days ago and it was going to be almost $200 for everything that I wanted to build mine. Then I would have to find someone to let me borrow a bender to bend up my outer tubes. Instead I put in an order to AJ this morning, for a set of super rails!

dang that is steep! what kinda design were you thinking of making?

Quick Reply: Building sliders...is it worth the effort over buying?