Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Broken neutral safety switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Broken neutral safety switch

I just the took the neutral safety switch off my jeep, and I ran into a problem. I ended up breaking the NSS when pulling it off. I now have the majority of the switch off except for the ring/threading of the old one still on the shaft. This piece was supposed to come off with the rest, but instead the NSS broke into two pieces, one piece is off, and the other is stuck on the shaft coming out of the trans. Any suggestions on what would be the best way to get it off without damaging the shaft? I was thinking a Dremel tool to slice into it just enough to loosen it up? Does this sound like a good idea? Any help would be highly appreciated.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:35 PM

I ended up using a chisel to try and break the piece or loosen it. After beating on it with the chisel for a while I broke some pieces off of it, but not the whole piece. I noticed the piece was finally moving back and fourth on the shaft. I then moved the piece as far back as it could go and took some sandpaper and used it on the shaft. The sandpaper helped A LOT, especially toward the end of the shaft and spots that I had roughed up from hitting it with the chisel. After the shaft was nice and smooth I moved the piece as far out as it could go, and then took some channel locks and grabbed onto the piece using the tranny pan as the folcrum. It came right off!!! Success!! After a little more sanding and some anti seize (only on the shaft) I got the NSS on and adjusted. The adjustment was really easy in my opinion (I used the brake light method).
Old 05-02-2013, 10:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999 sport 4x4
Engine: 4.0L

if I might ask what is the brake light method?
Old 05-02-2013, 10:07 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Bigred95
I ended up using a chisel to try and break the piece or loosen it. After beating on it with the chisel for a while I broke some pieces off of it, but not the whole piece. I noticed the piece was finally moving back and fourth on the shaft. I then moved the piece as far back as it could go and took some sandpaper and used it on the shaft. The sandpaper helped A LOT, especially toward the end of the shaft and spots that I had roughed up from hitting it with the chisel. After the shaft was nice and smooth I moved the piece as far out as it could go, and then took some channel locks and grabbed onto the piece using the tranny pan as the folcrum. It came right off!!! Success!! After a little more sanding and some anti seize (only on the shaft) I got the NSS on and adjusted. The adjustment was really easy in my opinion (I used the brake light method).
i've spent too much time in the underground i lol at all this talk about shaft.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:08 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DaveD
i think hes refering to the reverse light method, because the nss controls the reverse lights.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by ckysodkorn_xj
i've spent too much time in the underground i lol at all this talk about shaft.
After beating on it with the chisel for a while

took some channel locks and grabbed onto the piece using the tranny.

I was going to blame it on exhaust fumes.
Old 05-03-2013, 06:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0 Liter Inline 6

So i'm assuming you got a new nss after breaking the old one?
Old 05-03-2013, 07:03 PM

Year: 1998 , 1999
Engine: Both 4.0 IL6

"I ended up using a chisel to try and break the piece or loosen it. After beating on it with the chisel for a while I broke some pieces off of it, but not the whole piece."

Gentlemen, In my experience I have noticed that mechanical components do not respond well to physical abuse. They do respond well, however, to verbal abuse.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by DaveD
Sorry, I should have said reverse light method. It was really easy. I just put a new NSS that I got off eBay for 50$. With the transmission in reverse (plug in NSS before putting in reverse) I put the NSS on the shaft. With the adjustment bolt loose, I pivoted the NSS back and fourth until I saw the reverse lights turn on. With the reverse lights on, I tightened the adjustment bolt right in the center of the two points that I was pivoting back and fourth from, and also checked to see how it looked on the line on the NSS. It looked Like it was lined up with the line, so I tightened the bolt. My jeep has started great ever since, and I finally have reverse lights.
Old 05-04-2013, 12:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: 4.0 Liter Inline 6

Nice! I did the same and got one off of ebay for $40 bucks and it has worked tremendously ever since. (knock on wood)