Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Broken alternator bracket-

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 09:20 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Broken alternator bracket-

OK so I have replaced my A/C compressor, water pump, T-stat housing and T-stat. Last thing on the list was the alternator- I had a heck of a time getting the old one out. Now in trying to get the new one in I broke the alternator bracket upper right off. How involved is getting it out? It was geting dark so I called it a night (I also cannot get the heater core pipe thing out of the old water pump but I believe I will try and get a new one as I have mangled this one trying to get it out).

Help!
Old 06-11-2010, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

the bracket needs to unbolt from the front of the block...I had no issue getting my alt out through the bottom.

Heater core pipes almost ALWAYS brake. but another beforehand.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:59 PM
Seasoned Member

My alternator would not come out the bottom at all. The only way I could get it out was with a 4' prybar rocking the engine to the drivers side. What do you have to remove to get it out (or in this case in) through the bottom?
Old 06-12-2010, 02:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998

i removed nothing...it slipped right in.

My Lift may have helped a bit. It took me maybe 30 mins to replace mine.
Old 06-13-2010, 11:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Not sure what is up with my XJ, previous accident or something? I got my replacement alt bracket at the JY today and the XJ I got it out of the alterantor slipped right out. I kid you not I tried for 20 min to get mine out before I got out the pry bar (that was after jacking up the engine by the oil pan trying to get clearance). I need an extra 1/4" that the JY 95 XJ did not... frustrating! I did not get a chance to get the alt back in my Jeep- had to take my wife out to dinner for sushi because she bought me (or let me buy, I should say) my fathers day present- I picked up another Jeep, a '94 YJ. Not getting rid of the XJ, just getting another option.

I also scored at the JY: a new battery tray as mine was cracked and a roll top cover for the cargo area.

Tomorrow night I will be putting the XJ back together, I am not sure how I am getting that alt back in- probably with the pry bar, but not on the alt bracket!

So once I get the XJ running it will have (since I last had it road worthy): New AC compressor, new H20 pump, new t-stat housing and tstat, new alternator. I still need to pickup a new heater hose outlet tube- is that a dealership only part or can I find it at the local parts store?