Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Broke Down

Old 02-19-2011, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Broke Down

So last night I was headed out to Tuscan AZ from Yuma to go hunting Javelina for the weekend. I'm rollin in my 92 XJ with 6" lift and 33x12.50 Everything is going fine for a while then the truck just dies.

I ended up getting back to Yuma about 11 pm last night with a tow truck but I can not figure out what the problem could be. I was cruising about 65 mpg and the engine died and wouldn't turn over.

Seems like a fuel problem to me. Any one have any suggestions on where to start? I know it isn't a power problem so I'm guessing fuel filter or pump maybe. When I turn the key to the acc position I can here the pump turn on so could it really be as simple as the filter?
Old 02-19-2011, 09:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by khenderson8x
When I turn the key to the acc position I can here the pump turn on so could it really be as simple as the filter?
It might not be that simple, I believe the filter is located in the gas tank. (I could be wrong though)
Old 02-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

I was cruising about 65 mpg and the engine died and wouldn't turn over.
If it wouldnt crank over after it died i would think something electrical or something in the the motor seized up for whatever reason. Do you hear the starter solenoid engaging? If the same thing happened to me i would start looking at electrical connections.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0

You said it wont crank over... to me... that means when you turn the key.. the motor does not turn over... No its not your fuel filter... a fuel filter wont make a engine just shut off... If you hear the fuel pump when you turning key on.. i would think fuel pump is fine... You need to check spark.... does the motor crank over... ? but wont fire up ?
Old 02-19-2011, 11:05 AM

Engine: 4.0 L

could be alternator, or CPS....

or, as happened to me once a long time ago,,,,,the fusebox assembly feed wiring harness pins had corroded somewhat,, as soon as i cleaned them up and put fuses back in, it started right up.

just my two cents, hope it helps

cpnwrench
Old 02-19-2011, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

have you checked for codes
Old 02-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

okay so if the engine is just cranking and not firing check the CPS and fuses. the CPS is pretty easy to change in about 15 minutes and one person.

I had one where it looked fine but the wiring INSIDE the casing was shot so when you touched it it made the jeep turn off....

link to changing it out:

http://www.cherokeetech.com/VBull/sh...S-the-easy-way.

and here is what mine was doing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=zHwMB2R20Xc

Last edited by 96_xj; 02-19-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:04 PM

the engine will crank but not turn over the alternator is new as are the plugs and wires about 200 miles ago. I can hear the pump turn on when I turn the key. It seems like it is not getting fuel. I will check the codes this afternoon.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

the engine will crank but not turn over the alternator is new as are the plugs and wires about 200 miles ago. I can hear the pump turn on when I turn the key. It seems like it is not getting fuel. I will check the codes this afternoon.
You can try starter fluid. That will tell you right away if it isnt getting fuel or not.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:10 PM

I ran for codes and got nothing. I replaced the fuel filter which needed replaced anyways and its cheap. Unfortunately that did not fix it either.
I am starting to think I got a bad tank of gas or something. I normally get 87 octane at the shell by my house but last night before we left for hunting I put in a full tank of 89 octane since the regular and premium where all out of order.
Could it really be that simple I have never gotten a bad tank of gas before. Is there a way I can tell.
Here is a vid I took of me trying to start it up. It will now run for a few seconds then die
Old 02-19-2011, 08:17 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

Yes there is a way you can tell... fill a mason jar or any glass jar with gas out of your tank let it sit on a flat table for about an hour if there is water in your gas they will seprate.. hope this helps...
Old 02-20-2011, 10:50 AM

Any one have any suggestions I am stuck at home until I get this truck up and running again. Could it be a bad spark plug or something? I changed the plugs and wires 150 miles ago.
Old 02-20-2011, 11:00 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

if you manually give it gas(i.e. push the throttle down) does it start?

have you tested the pump with a multi meter?

have you tested any sensor with a multi meter?

have you tested it with a fuel pressure regulator to make sure you are getting gas?

it should be about 35-39 psi when you "prime" the motor and about 49-52 psi when you run the engine

also you need to start testing sensors for resistance and for voltage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=http:...?v=0pzJ8uECQ2U

Last edited by 96_xj; 02-20-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:29 PM

Looks like some good posts here for you to try, here is some other ones ok?

check your oil, make sure A)there is enough, B) its not full of coolant.

Pop Distributor cap,, make sure its not cracked or the pickups are not corroded all to hell. also check the rotor for the same thing.

REPLACE the Crank Position Sensor (CPS).

IS the coil good? use of a multimeter can tell you if it is.

how is your battery power? do the lights dim significantly when you are cranking the motor over? is it a manual or auto transmission? if its auto replace the neutral safety switch?

can you do the on-off-on-off-on trick with the ignition to retrieve codes?
if so see what you get... if you get a "55" then its something electrically basic not related to engine control by the computer.

also put some raw gas into the throttle body and try to crank it, and see if it fires, if not, its NOT, i repeat NOT a fuel problem,, cause once you introduce raw gas into the combustion chamber and there is spark , you WILL have a detonation.

check all your fuses and relays too, ( i have a relay which is down low behind battery (left side of engine compartment) which failed once and i couldnt figure out what the F&((&^ was going on..I replaced it and she fired right up.....

anyway,,,,,these are things to check before you get it to a shop.....

good luck sir, let us know what you find!

cpnwrench
Old 02-20-2011, 12:37 PM

just watched your video,,,

sure seems like a fuel starvation issue....(sorry I shoulda watched before my last reply).

when you started (even though it only ran a short time) like this, did the exhaust smoke at all or engine sound different than you are used to?

Fuel filter is on correctly right?

i guess as last resort, siphon all the gas outta the tank, go to a diffent station with a 5 gallon jug and get some gas there, buy a can of gas treatment and throw them both in and see if that helps.

i would be interested to know what your root cause it sir!

hope it helps

cpnwrench!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Broke Down