Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Brakes should I bleed them again?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2011, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Brakes should I bleed them again?

Hey guys, search isn't helping much on this problem.
I'm getting ready to head out to the garage to figure out what I screwed up..
Thought I would ask you all first..

Yesterday I replaced bother front rotors, calipers, and pads..

I bled the brakes, the old school way.. Cracked the bleeder and pumped the brakes 4 or 5 times, and held the pedal down with a broom stick while I tightened up the bleeder. Did that to both sides.. Always worked with my other cars..

The pedal was tight till I started it up. Now the pedal goes to the floor.. The brakes work. It will stop here in the driveway, but the pedal goes all the way to the floor.

What do you think? Just bleed them again? Or will the old way of pumping the brakes and holding it not work on a Jeep?
Old 07-31-2011, 07:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

When you replaced the calipers did you run the master cylinder dry? there in lies the problem.
Old 07-31-2011, 07:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

You've still got air in the system.

Get an old jar and some clear tubing, like for aquarium air lines. Fill the master cylinder with brake fluid and put on the top. Go to the right rear, open the bleeder, and put the tubing over the bleeder. Put some fluid in the jar.

Then lean inside and depress the brake pedal slowly, then let it up, about 4 times. Refill the master cylinder. Then close the open bleeder and dump the jar into a pan. Repeat on that one until absolutely no bubbles appear anymore.

Then move to the left rear, right front, and finally the left front and repeat your actions.

You will need 3-5 pints of fluid, perhaps more but not normally. You can buy inexpensive self-bleeder kits at the parts store.

Be patient and you will get all the air out. BTW, don't let the master cylinder run low of fluid at any time. Check it every cycle. You don't want to put air back in the system and turn on the brake light.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by Turbo X_J
When you replaced the calipers did you run the master cylinder dry? there in lies the problem.
I refilled the reservoir after ever side, it shouldn't have got any air in the master.. But maybe it did.
Y'all are on the same page, so looks like I'm off to bleed them again. This is the last thing to do and it'll be road ready.

I've never used a self bleeder kit. Does it make it a lot easier to do the job by yourself I take it?