Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

brakes locking up easley

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 05:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

My left side brake have been locking up lately. I was on the way to college yesterday and it was raining. I gentley hit the brakes and my left rear tire locked up. I tried to get it to happen again this time hitting the brakes harder and it wouldnt do it. Well to day I went to the gas station and both front and rear brakes locked up on the left side causing the tires to squawl yet again and it was raining again today. I have had the rear brakes lock up when I had the 215s on it but never had the 31s lock up even under extremely hard braking. I do not have ABS but this has never been an issue before. Whats going on any ideas?
Old 08-23-2012, 05:19 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

First thing I'd do is remove the drums and look at the condition of the shoes and drums. Right now you/we are flying blind. Pics might help depending on what you find.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

when was last brake inspection done one side of vechicl looking up needs quick attenion

Last edited by freegdr; 08-23-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:36 PM
CF Veteran

I had new brakes and a new adjuster put on the rear drum on that side and new brakes in the other drum front brakes were fine wen i rotated the tires last month. Is there anything I should be looking for?
Old 08-23-2012, 05:44 PM

Year: 1996

Originally Posted by Slim357
I had new brakes and a new adjuster put on the rear drum on that side and new brakes in the other drum front brakes were fine wen i rotated the tires last month. Is there anything I should be looking for?
I know very little about drum brakes...but I feel you just told us exactly what is wrong lol. I assume replacing the adjuster on only the side that is the issue would be where to look...if it isn't the same as the side you did not replace, it would explain the one side locking before the other.
Old 08-23-2012, 05:45 PM
CF Veteran

sounds like rears are not adjusted properly as for front one locking they should brake evenly unless one has a bad caliper or line id adjust rears and see if issue stops
Old 08-23-2012, 05:50 PM
CF Veteran

i assumeing you just mean the star adjuster correct heres a pretty simple vid of rear adjusting...
Old 08-23-2012, 08:44 PM
CF Veteran

I dont know much about drum brakes either lucky me my dad is a certified mechanic so he replaced the rear brakes last time and just said that he had to break and replace the adjuster. Maybe he adjusted one side more then the other but that doesnt explain why its only that side that locks up. Is there anything besides a bad caliper that would cause this?
Old 08-24-2012, 01:30 PM
CF Veteran

Is it possible to put abs on my jeep even though it didnt come with it? If so what would I need to be able to do it?
Old 08-24-2012, 01:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Is it possible to put abs on my jeep even though it didnt come with it? If so what would I need to be able to do it?
Don't
Old 08-24-2012, 01:36 PM
CF Veteran

Year: '99 and '91

That would be waaaay more trouble than its worth. Brakes shouldn't lock up as easy as you are saying they are. Unless there's a problem since its happening on the front and rear intermittently, I'd look into the master cylinder. But most brake problems I've had as far as lockkmg up or not disengaging were from collapsed brake hoses and damaged lines.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:20 PM
CF Veteran

Ya I got it to lock up today like the third time I tried the finally did lock up but this time I had to try to lock em up. I hit the brakes as if I had to slow down quickly instead of how I was the other day. Not to mention this time only the left front locked up and yes it was raining again to day. Im starting to think the master cylinder may be at fault to some extent
Old 08-24-2012, 05:22 PM
CF Veteran

Ya I got it to lock up today like the third time I tried the finally did lock up but this time I had to try to lock em up. I hit the brakes as if I had to slow down quickly instead of how I was the other day. Not to mention this time only the left front locked up and yes it was raining again to day. Im starting to think the master cylinder may be at fault to some extent
talk to dad master just does front and rear does not regulate left and right brakes
Old 08-24-2012, 06:22 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by freegdr
talk to dad master just does front and rear does not regulate left and right brakes
Bad brake hose, AND master cylinder, AND drum brake hardware.

Its possible.

With those odd problems OP is having. I'd go the route of lowest mileage booster master cylinder, hell take the prop valve too, from the junkyard you can find. And if you haven't go the route of a complete overhaul of the brake system.

New rotors if yours are thin and or rusty flaky and grooved. If they're not too bad get em turned. If you want to save a few dollars get some decent looking ones from the jy and have them turned. I would suggest new pads, calipers, and hoses for the front. If the hard lines are too rotted. Replace em, probably won't have to do that.

On the rear, same thing. If your drums are grooved rotted flaky, get new or get turned jy ones. If they're decent turn. New brake shoes, wheel cylinders and NEW hardware all of it.

Or if you want you could do the zj disc brake swap. Worth it IMO super easy and won't have to deal with drums again. And cost just about the same after buying all the stupid hardware for drums.

I say a complete overhaul because brakes are important!!! I've had BAD brake problems on a truck before and its not fun when something fails at the wrong time. Also chasing down brake problems only to have one thing at a time fail only to eventually install every component anyways all the long burning pads and rotors and having bad brakes anyways sucks. Been there too!
Old 08-24-2012, 06:25 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by freegdr
Just thought about it! Prop valve does! IIRC front prop by MC splits into 3 front L front R and rear. Then there's one on the rear axles that splits L and R right? Lol

Check the props.

Quick Reply: brakes locking up easley