Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

brakes grab hard when wet

Old 11-30-2011, 09:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: inline 6
Default brakes grab hard when wet

im having a problem with my brakes that only occurs when its damp or rainy outside.

for example when i leave for work in the morning i will pull to the bottom of my driveway and the instant i touch my brake pedal the wheels almost lock and myself and the whole jeep lurch forward, as is if stomped on the pedal. on a dry day this will clear up by the third time i use the brakes, but if its raining its a different story.

when the road has water on it the problem will still clear up after the 2nd or 3rd time i use the brakes but if i drive a mile or 2 with out using the brakes they will grab really hard again when i apply them. i really dont like driving 40mph and having the wheels almost lock up when i apply the brakes normally.

i know that rust can develop on the drum and rotors and they can grab like this until the rust is ground off but this seems like it happens way too often. for this to be occurring every morning, when i leave work in the afternoon and almost all the time when it is raining makes me think that something is up.

thanks for any thoughts
Old 11-30-2011, 09:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987 & 1996
Engine: 4.0

ABS?!?!
IF its screwing up it could cause issues.
Power Brake Booster...... NEver heard of one doing that but if its some how sticking slightly
and the suddenly releasing causing the issue.
Check the Booster one way check valve also.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L High Output

Originally Posted by pierre
im having a problem with my brakes that only occurs when its damp or rainy outside.

for example when i leave for work in the morning i will pull to the bottom of my driveway and the instant i touch my brake pedal the wheels almost lock and myself and the whole jeep lurch forward, as is if stomped on the pedal. on a dry day this will clear up by the third time i use the brakes, but if its raining its a different story.

when the road has water on it the problem will still clear up after the 2nd or 3rd time i use the brakes but if i drive a mile or 2 with out using the brakes they will grab really hard again when i apply them. i really dont like driving 40mph and having the wheels almost lock up when i apply the brakes normally.

i know that rust can develop on the drum and rotors and they can grab like this until the rust is ground off but this seems like it happens way too often. for this to be occurring every morning, when i leave work in the afternoon and almost all the time when it is raining makes me think that something is up.

thanks for any thoughts

Same problem i have with mine but after i drive mine for a while itll quit and go away until it sits for a while again. IDK what to do my grandpa's old 91 ford did it too, i just drive it careful at first but since mine goes away i dont have to worry about it
Old 11-30-2011, 09:59 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: inline 6

i dont have ABS, so thats not the problem. i will check the booster, if i can figure out how
Old 11-30-2011, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 ho i6

i done have abs either and i have this problem i always thought that there was air in the system or a little moisture and the rain just cause it to expand or something
Old 11-30-2011, 10:11 PM

Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Ive owned 2 Xjs and my parents owned 2 and they all did that when the brakes were wet. They were usually fine once they dried out